Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:10:31 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  Down to Business (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Shell Dipping. Not acid dipping!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shell Dipping. Not acid dipping!  (Read 6501 times)
124AC

« on: December 04, 2008, 11:56:08 PM »

I have had panels and whole shells dipped by Surface processing.
This process removes paint, rust etc without removing any good metal.
The guys are helpful, the results are spectacular, and the time saved justifies the cost.  A further step is to have the car electrophoretically primed.  This immersion process applies primer in places Fiat never managed to reach!

Surface Processing Ltd
Unit 20, Sovereign Works, Deepdale Lane,
Lower Gornal, Dudley
West Midlands
DY3 2AF

Tel: 01384 242010
Fax: 01384 242090
Email: sales@surfaceprocessing.co.uk

http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/technical-process.html

Current Fleet:  124AC Coupe. Torque tube model.  Supermirafiori 2000 S3.   Alfa Sprint Cloverleaf 1700.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 09:39:49 PM »

hi what sort of money did you pay for each dip and then primer.
 cheers jason

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
124AC

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »

Jason

Best to call them and discuss your requirements!  As a guide I think you would pay ?750 ish to have a 131 dipped.  When you consider that this removes paint, rust, filler, scale, sound-deadening, rubber, it really is good value.  The process does not stress and buckle panels like sandblasting can.

The website really does reflect their output.

There is a long waiting list for their services so popular are they among the racing fraternity.  Prodrive used to hand over new Subaru shells as dipping removes considerable weight in unwanted sealers etc before you build a bodyshell!  I have seen new and classic race cars come and go.

Another consideration is that apparently good panels can be thinned and feathered by rust, especially at seams.  I looked at an Austin A40 race car that had been modified and caged.  When dipped there was a missing 1" of metal in some crucial panel joins where the sealer had trapped water over the years.

I'n not sure of the price for primer, but I think you may want to get the shell back and finish repairs before getting the priming done.

If you are serious about restoring your car this process replicates the steps used to clean new car bodies before they are painted.  It's a big commitment, but with Sport prices rising, and the genral cost of restoration increasing, you could do it once, properly!

Current Fleet:  124AC Coupe. Torque tube model.  Supermirafiori 2000 S3.   Alfa Sprint Cloverleaf 1700.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat
italianxrays

Fiat 131 - VFP783X

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 06:38:35 PM »

Undecided
I believe the above process is well respected and at end of the day you pays your money....the following seems a reasonable alternative, I was impressed at the recent classic car show by their stand and attitude, I believe the cost is very competitive and not as expensive as dipping.

http://ecoblast.co.uk/soda-blasting-examples.php

Have any members on the forum experiences/ views on soda blasting as a viable option ?

Kennedy of Sixmilebridge

all-italia.net

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 03:04:38 PM »

Undecided
I believe the above process is well respected and at end of the day you pays your money....the following seems a reasonable alternative, I was impressed at the recent classic car show by their stand and attitude, I believe the cost is very competitive and not as expensive as dipping.

http://ecoblast.co.uk/soda-blasting-examples.php

Have any members on the forum experiences/ views on soda blasting as a viable option ? 

It's good, but acid also reaches the places you can't see...

all-italia.net
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.