Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:45:49 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Electrical problem - Indicators
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Electrical problem - Indicators  (Read 10723 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: May 14, 2007, 07:21:38 PM »

My front indicators (and side repeat lights) as well as front parkings lights have stopped working. The rear indicators and parking lights including number plates illuminators are all working perfectly well.

In fact when I put on side lights and hazard warning everything at the back is working as it should with nothing at front/wings!

It cant be a fuse as I'd have thought that all of the indicators are on the same circuit - Although I checked and they all seem ok.

I can still hear a clicking around the dash area but the dash indicator light for indicators only works for the hazard button but not when the indicator stalk is pulled. 

I'm a bit puzzled - Has anyone seen a problem like this before or have any suggestions? 

Cheers

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 07:56:44 PM »

The front indicators/sidelights are notorious for going wrong! The problem is either with the connectors behind the light units (NOT easy to get to them without removing the bumper!) or with the connectors inside the engine compartment near the front lights. If the side repeaters on the front wings are working, then the problem is likely to be with the units in the bumper but if the side repeaters are not working either, then it's most likely the connector blocks inside the engine compartment or the common earth (also inside the engine compartment, near the battery I think). I'll bring some electrical lubricant and I am sure I can get them to work while you are cooking on Thursday.  Grin

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »

None of the 6 front small lights are working, indicators and repeats/parking lights.

I knew I could rely on you for a quick answer Theo - The bulbs are OK - I checked one side. Also absolutely no sign of corrosion in there and the fittings and bulbs look brand new - More testimony to the car's sheltered life I think.

At this rate I'll have to cook on a low heat!!? Grin

Or better still I could delegate to Si while I try and learn something new!? Wink

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
Andy c

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 08:06:21 PM »

As Theo said theres a good chance it could be an earth fault
Andy

Andy Cobb
Polegate East Sussex
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 08:08:38 PM »

None of the 6 front small lights are working, indicators and repeats/parking lights.

In that case I would suspect the common earth point which I am fairly sure it's near the battery in the engine compartment.  What did you do just before they stopped working? That usually is a good indication of what the problem might be.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 08:24:39 PM »

Ammm let me think....Yes I dropped in a cheque to my bank - Do you think that could be the problem?? Cheesy

Seriously - No tinkering or anything - Just taking it for a short spin to do the above job. Now since the last entry I had a look at the connectors and found a red one disconnected next to the battery - One end fed through the inner wing near the side indicator - Popped them together and that side is now working.

I wonder did the garage disconnect the battery while painting the bonnet/wing and knocked this out at the time - Although it dosnt explain the other side which is still inopertative...and has what looks like a spare connector not connected to anything, and nothing nearby that looks like it can mate with.

Puzzling.... Huh

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 10:51:40 PM »

... the connectors inside the engine compartment near the front lights...  ... if the side repeaters are not working either, then it's most likely the connector blocks inside the engine compartment ...

That means I was right then! The garage should have removed the plastic guard inside the wing to sort out the dent so they are likely to have loosened the wire that goes through the inner wing to the side repeater. It's the same connector that also powers the unit in the bumper so if that's been disconnected nothing on that side would work.

The other end might be hiding near the headlamp?

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 06:40:24 AM »

Sorry for the delay in adding to this thread (I was down in the London Victorian sewer system yesterday!) but my money is most definitely on Theo's 'connector problem' diagnosis. Grin

The car's Italian - of course it has electrical problems! Roll Eyes

Simon131

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Tristan

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 07:45:22 PM »

Kevin , before you go digging all the possible earths , just make a temporary one of your own , clamp a single core cable to the Battery Negative , and touch the other end to the outer , neutral part of the lights that are not working . If the work , you'll have proved it is in fact an Earthing problem.
january 131CL

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 01:24:23 AM »

Dashboard Click.

I do not know if anybody have said this but the constant clicking sound at the dashboard area could be the electric clock. It happened to me when I first bought the 131. I was new to 131 then.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.