Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:55:05 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  3MA News and other events (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  3MA has begun...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3MA has begun...  (Read 11145 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: May 18, 2007, 05:55:31 AM »

The weekend has finally begun for the 131 fans with the arrival of the UK contingent (Simon and Theo) in Rosslare at lunch time on the 17th. About a third of the way in to the journey they met up with Mark Williams and they continued on their way across Ireland in glorious sunshine.

They were met on the outskirts of Limerick by myself and a convoy of 4 sporty 131s snorting through their 6 carbuerretors and growling their modified exhaust systems, drove through the built up streets of Limerick city.? Shocked

Even with just 4 cars they caused quite a sensation and we are very much looking forward to seeing how a convoy of a dozen or more cars wil be received!!? Grin

The weather stayed kind until late in the evening allowing the back garden to cater for the cars and their many admirers. This morning has not started very favourably in the weather department and we are having a "Soft day". The forecast is for showers and sunny spells so we will concentrate our minds on the sunny showers!? Wink

We expect to be in Dromoland Castle before 10.0am when the actual touring will begin in earnest. The majority of the cars will be meeting up tonight or tomorrow in Killarney.

Further updates via Theo's lap top will be added as time permits. For now here are a few initial photos.

And one from this morning where the skies have washed the cars for free.... Cheesy

Mark has commissioned 3MA commemorative stickers for the event for everyone who attends.? Wink

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 12:47:07 AM »

Just a quick update to say the first day of the 3MA started with the four cars mentioned above but more cars joined in as the day progressed so at the end of the day we had 13 cars in the Heights Hotel car park in Killarney.

Here's a couple of photos taken on day 1 of the 3MA:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 12:07:50 AM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 07:02:49 PM »

hi all
 you luck bu.......... looking good , just wait till the other 18 turn up.
keep us left at home posted..
have agreat time and good luck with the irish weather
cheers  jason

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 11:57:43 PM »

The weather is.... well let's call it "variable". But nothing has diluted the fun and excitement.

* P1020396.JPG (138.66 KB, 640x480 - viewed 808 times.)

* P1020430.JPG (142.69 KB, 640x480 - viewed 814 times.)

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 12:14:15 AM »

Today (Sunday) was the day of the static 3MA display and while the total of 15 131s was slightly less than the expected number, it's still the most 131s anyone of us has even seen together at a classic car event; so we are claiming the World record unless someone can prove otherwise.

The day started with a short drive to Ladies View for a photo opportunity with the Lakes of Killarney as a backdrop and then we took a blast down the special rally stage. It's the most fun I've had in a very long time and probably the most fun I'll ever have! Even the weather was good to us today with glorious sunshine (most of the time!)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 12:29:48 AM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Kennedy of Sixmilebridge

all-italia.net

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 09:23:34 PM »

What a day !! What a buch of lads !! I was very glad to meet you all !!

I invigled my way into Andys car for the Healy Pass run, and once we got out beyond Kenmare today, he started to reveal some of the cars ability.

Great grip, lots of torque, and a litle bit skittish on rippled surfaces, on the back axle.

Andy really took it to heart when I said, that a small adjustment of tyre pressures might allow the cars tyres to engage more with rippled surfaces, so he dropped her down from 30 PSI on the front to 28 PSI, and from 30 on the rear to 26PSI, at the last stop before the pass attack.

On the rise up to the more open road of the Healy pass, she displayed a more consistant character and the axle tramp had been eliminated.
Successful adjustment !!

Andy was holding back on some of the bends and creating a gap between himself and the leading bunch. This was so as he could fly up behind them with a clean and clear road.

We got to the top of the gap, but Andy was having so much fun, that he and a few more continued down the far side at 95 percent committment, to where the road straightened out, approx 3 km from the summit of the pass.

After a brief pow-wow at the base of the pass, the cars turned around again for another attack at Healys Pass, and with the English Abarth in the lead, they started to attack the pass again.

Andys tyres got noticeable sticker with the heat in them, and we both looked at each other, and needing no more encouragement, I needled and pushed and bullied him, much much harder that was polite, to go deeper and harder into the bends.

The cars road manners and Andy driving style, got very Zen like, the whole car seemed to respond like a living muscle, and with each bend, Andy was taking sizeable chunks out of the briliantly driven lead Abarths times.

For a short moment in time, attacking Healys Pass, chasing the beautiful english Abarth, you couldn't tell where Andy stopped and the car started.

They had, briefly, became one....

all-italia.net
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 12:01:38 AM »

And for those who understand visuals better than text, here's some photos taken today at the Healy pass

The variability of the weather deserted us today and instead we've had a day full of glorious sunshine which was ideal for our drive round the Ring of Beara.

But all good things come to an end and the 3MA is now over. Tomorrow the UK and European convoys will be homeward bound as a single convoy across Ireland first.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 12:08:43 AM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »

But all good things come to an end and the 3MA is now over. Tomorrow the UK and European convoys will be homeward bound as a single convoy across Ireland first.

This morning (Tuesday) the last remaining five 131s left the Heights Hotel car park on their homeward journey.

One of them cheated slightly by going back on a trailer but the other four were the two UK convoy cars and the two European convoy cars which had a very long drive home.

The remaining four 131s took the more scenic route to Rosslare for the ferry and so extended the 3MA feeling into another day.

The convoy grew to five 131s for a while when we met with a 3MAer from Waterford who showed us a shortcut via a short-hop ferry.

I was at home in Enfield at 9:45pm having a cup of tea and reminiscing on the four fun filled and exciting days known as the 3MA. Can we do it again tomorrow please?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 08:21:08 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 06:56:29 AM »

What can I add that the comments and photos already posted don't already say?

For me, a totally dedicated 131 fan (I'm not obsessed - 131's are a life-style!! Grin), this weekend was, right from the start, one absolutely not to be missed. The number of cars surpassed our expectations, as did their quality and the enthusiasm of their owners! It was my pleasure and a great honour to meet so many like minded people and their ladies and share my passion.

The weather, whilst 'changeable' (we even had hail on one of the days! Shocked) actually spiced up the event - if any were needed! The driving was exceptional! To see two other Abarth Stradales in full flight (only when it was safe to do so - honestly Mum! Wink Grin) along with so many Sports and variety of other 131 models was a privilege!

I was mostly along for the ride on this event (which makes a change from being completely swollowed up by managing it), with the lion's share of the organisation being down to Kevin, who was technically supported by Theo. To you two guys I offer my heartfelt thanks for arranging a superb, (almost Grin Grin) seamless event.

When can we do it again???

PS - The only reason that Andy's Abarth was able to (almost!) catch me on the straights is that his car has twin 40's whereas mine still has a single 34! Grin Grin Grin Grin A truly great experience that we MUST try to repeat some day - soon!

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 09:16:24 AM »

Loads of photos taken during the event are now at http://www.131mirafiori.com/gallery.htm.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.