Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 08:20:25 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  1600 Dome Top Pistons - Into a 2.0 Twin Cam ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1600 Dome Top Pistons - Into a 2.0 Twin Cam ?  (Read 14709 times)
t66

« on: August 03, 2009, 11:26:30 PM »

Im currently rebuilding a 2.0 Fiat Twincam 131 -C4000 engine to drop in my Lada (Yes Lada Smiley)

All is going well and the engine is completely stripped down, my gasket sets and bits are on order.

However my bores have a fine wear ridge at the top, and I am concerned if I fit new rings then the top one will destroy itself on the said ridge.

I have purchased a set of 84mm domed pistons from a 1600 twincam, They are in the post so I cannot tell you anymore about them. They are ultra low miles and have been in a guys cupboard for years.

Has anyone successfully fitted these pistons into a 2.0 lump ?

As far as I have read, the 1600 rods are shorter, the small ends appear to be 22mm for both 1600 & 2000 engines.

The Guy Croft website hasnt generated a reply after three days and 34 people viewing my thread.

Ive read all I can on the subject, GC bible and a Haynes but Im no further ahead.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

bolger

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:56:20 AM »

You can fit them into 2000, but you need to use the 2000 rods, and, moreover, you may need to make cut outs in the pistons in order to clear the valves (depends on the particular head type that you have and on how much machined it is already) - very careful assembly is a must.
However, if the cylinder wear is significant (show us a photo), then engine reassembly without machining is a COMPLETE  waste of money.  Believe my,we had plenty of these engines in Poland and it has been main toy of young, underfunded tuners - 3 such engines died  in my Mirafioris and I couldn't help it. You can not save  this way.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 08:15:30 AM by bolger » Logged
Tas131

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:53:46 AM »

If the ridge is small and the cylinders still in good nick, you can use a ridge removal tool to get rid of the ridge and negate the broken ring problem.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
t66

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »

Thanks for the replies

My current ring end gaps are in the 25thou region, the wear ridge is evident, I have nothing to compare it to so I await your views.

To give an idea of what Im doing, the engine is going into my Lada Niva, which is an occassional off road toy.

I have an 84mm flexihone available if I need it. And have seen the ridge removers on varous websites.

I do not have the pistons yet, so cannot provide any measurements to establish if they will actually fit the bores...

And yes I am on a budget, so Polish advice from your teen motoring exploits is exactly what Im after, will it work ? or will it explode ? lol

Im rather hoping the 1600 pistons are the max size , so I can rebore the block.

t66

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 12:05:14 PM »

If the pistons dont /wont fit, the existing ones will go back in with the old rings.

The car doesnt do a great deal, any additional power I get will be an improvement on the 1600 Niva engine.... Wink
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »

Looks like a pretty bad wear ridge.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
theredx19
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 01:24:19 PM »

I would be more concerned with the vertical lines in the bore as this could be a sign of ovalisation of the bore or of a very nice roasting at some stage but the only saving grace is the lines dont seem to be on the trust side....
t66

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 05:00:54 PM »

The marks/crazing in the bores have no noticable feel to the delicately placed finger.

The pistons show signs of varnish & washing which isnt good.

Im hoping the 1600 pistons will allow me the room to rebore and remove the ridge etc.

Either way it is going back together, its a low budget off roader in need of some extra power.

I might even re-use the old top rings and fit new second & oil control rings.

Not perfect I realise, but this is no show stopper of a car.

The car is worth maybe ?500 tops, Im not in it to sell it etc so a bit more low budget spending isnt an issue. Im just not spending a fortune on it.

sid131

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 07:42:40 PM »

it looks like a 127/128 on stilts, whats the model called?
theredx19
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 08:20:56 PM »

A Niva or Cossack as I have one ask Brensport  Grin Grin
t66

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 09:09:51 PM »

it looks like a 127/128 on stilts, whats the model called?

Lada Niva Cossack-

It sits on either 15 or 16 inch wheels. Mine is on 16s with cutback arches. 2" suspension lift and no anti roll bars to hinder the articulation.

It is a very capable off roader.

Watch....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpLWZkE6uJM

bolger

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »

I'm not a  mechanic expert, but I think I can give the answer - it will work with the new pistons, but not for very long. I would say several thousand miles.
Better sell these pistons, buy an oversize set from spiderpoint for not so much more and rebore the engine, it will help a lot. Remember to at least check the factory clearances in the whole engine - cam buckets, cams, aux shaft, crank.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:22:44 PM by bolger » Logged
t66

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 11:37:56 PM »

I'm not a  mechanic expert, but I think I can give the answer - it will work with the new pistons, but not for very long. I would say several thousand miles.
Better sell these pistons, buy an oversize set from spiderpoint for not so much more and rebore the engine, it will help a lot. Remember to at least check the factory clearances in the whole engine - cam buckets, cams, aux shaft, crank.

My shims need sorting, I have done the measuring and know what size to order. The cam is fine, as is the crank and bearings. The oil pump is within limits.

I cannot really justify spending 300euro on pistons & rings to fit in a car worth 500 euro at best.

I am really looking to resolve the bore issue as costly (low) as I can manage. The engine in it at the moment is a low powered 1600 unit, the sums just dont make sense.

It does about 1000 miles a year, some off road trialling and carts my builders rubble away to the tip.

Thankd for the reply , and Spiderpoint I hadnt seen before thanks ! Wink
Tas131

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 06:11:14 AM »

Hone it, clean up the standard pistons, splash out on a new set of rings and put it back together. That's what I'd be doing if it's just a fun toy.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
sid131

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 06:46:11 AM »

tas131 makes sense there & if you do get a new set of rings please post where they can be bought.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.