Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:52:52 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Father's Day blues - or, why won't my Special start?!?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Father's Day blues - or, why won't my Special start?!?  (Read 8913 times)
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« on: June 18, 2007, 06:24:29 AM »

After exchanging contracts on a new house purchase on Friday I decided that I'd better make sure that as many of my 131s as possible start and run - especially as the planned completion date is this Friday Shocked Shocked

So, Father's Day was spent clearing out my Alladin's Cave of a garage - I'd forgotten I'd got half of the things in it!? Cool Also sitting patiently inside for the last few years is my orange 131S, which I thought it prudent to get out and try to start.

Well, as with many cars that have sat for ages, the rear drums were stuck and the tyres had about 5 psi all round, so pushing it out by hand was a non-starter - a bit like the car! Cry

So, after I'd pulled it out, charged the battery and pumped up the tyres I tried to start it. It turned over fine, but wouldn't fire. After closer investigation I found that there was no petrol being moved through the pump. There's petrol in the tank, I even put in another 5 litres that I went and bought yesterday afternoon, but I can't get petrol into the carb from the tank.

I have also swapped the pump over with that from my 'spares Special' and still nothing. I even tried sucking the petrol up the pipe from the tank to the engine (doesn't petrol taste yukky!?!) but still no luck.

The car ran fine when I put her away - I drove it into the garage, but now she won't start. There is petrol in the tank but the pump(s) won't deliver it to the carb.

I'm pretty desperate for some sort of assistance here guys - is there something obvious that I'm missing?? Undecided Undecided

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:30:03 AM by simon131 » Logged

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 09:14:12 AM »

The diaphragms in the mechanical pumps perish if not used for a while. Did the car with the 'spare' pump start OK and so the spare pump is known to be good? It could be that you have two faulty pumps. Also these mechanical pumps need to be 'primed' by sucking fuel all the way through them (did you suck the petrol at the carburettor pipe?) or turning them over for a LONG time. Have you checked the float in the carb to make sure it's not stuck in the closed position? If you take the carb top off to check, put some petrol in the carb and then the car should hopefully start. Once/if it starts, it may get round to sucking the petrol all the way from the tank and keep running. If you remember we had the same problem starting Dudley's engine after being sat for a few years. We thought then it was a fuel pump problem but it turned out we didn't try hard enough or long enough.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 10:29:24 AM »

When you say I need to turn it over for a long time - just how long do you mean?

I sucked the petrol up the pipe from the tank to the pump, so no, I didn't suck fuel through the pump, and you're probably right, the carb is almost definitely dry.

No, I don't know that the pump in the spares car is any good, but both cars were running fine before they were laid up - albeit a long time ago! Roll Eyes. Perhaps, as you suggest, the diaphragms are dried up and perished. I'll have to see whether I can get another one, or alternatively, try to fix the one that I can get apart.

Any more suggestions? Huh
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:30:56 AM by simon131 » Logged

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 10:56:53 AM »

Try connecting a small fuel can/jar close to the pump to see if the pump can suck the fuel through. That will also prime the pump if it works.

Manually fill the carburettor with fuel which should hopefully get the engine started. You'll then know that there are no other problems and it may then run long enough to suck the fuel from the tank.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
THE STIG 031

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 12:03:05 PM »

MORNING SIMES, also, check for a spark at the points, and take out the plugs and warm them up, gives the engine more of a chance, especlially after putting petrol in the carb,  I went to the saab a week ago, proded the pedal, turned the key, and it fired up after weeks of inactivity Wink.

brian stigant, 130 coupe, x3 black,blue,red , fiat panda`s x4Italia90,1000S,Clx,sergio Tachcini 1937 Topolino (in bits)
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »

Hi Stiggy and thanks for your suggestion.

I'm sure that with petrol in the right place (inside the engine!) it will start. All I need now is the time to give these suggestions a try. Undecided

I'll keep you I'll posted.

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

krishtiano

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 04:37:20 PM »

Bro...im a newbie about this car...but my car had the same problem...it just would not start...but my uncle who was a mechanic suggested we should do 'fuel injection'...pour fuel into ur webber then keep on crankin the ignition...eventualy after about 10-12 'injections' the car started!

Hunting my country for a sport!
Malaysia
131 Lover

Fiat power No mercy !!!

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 07:57:44 PM »

Hello Simon!
If I only been closer i could help you!
I had the same problem with my Supermirafiori in the weekend  I just started my air compressor and took the air blower and hold it in the petrol tank as my father tried to start the engine and the petrol came to the carburator,and started the car, some of the air slipped out in the overpressure hose in the tank, but the little extra push helped me!
Its worth a try because its easy!

Best wishes Alf
Good luck with your new house..

My name is Alf Andersson and live in Alvesta in the south of Sweden,
These are my Fiats
3X Fiat 131 -83 supermirafiori 2000Tc
1X Fiat 131 -82 supermirafiori 2000Tc
2x 131 2-door 1600cl -81
m4den

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 09:36:19 PM »

spares specaial, ?

canit donate dash , coluum etc?
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 06:22:00 AM »

Sorry, but not breaking my green Special for spares just yet. I'll let everyone know when I am. Grin

Update - Got the orange Special to start yesterday after taking the advice of you guys here on the forum. I took the top off the carb (6 screws) and filled the float chamber with fresh unleaded using a kiddies medicine syringe, it was as dry as a desert. I then put everything back and turned the engine over, and it fired up on the third turn of the engine! Grin I'm well pleased! Cool

The only down side was that with the engine running petrol started to pour from the pipes (which was alarming Shocked), so I have now had to replace all of the petrol hoses in the engine compartment. But at least it runs Cool Cool

Thanks very much for all of you help Cool Grin Cool - so far Undecided

So, the car starts, runs and drives - but the brake pedal has to be 'pumped' to get the car to stop Huh The brakes work well enough, and the car pulls up in a straight line (unusual for a 31 year old 131 Roll Eyes) it's just a lack of 'feel' in the pedal. Incidentally, the pedal does not go all the way to the floor, so the system doesn't appear to have any leaks.

I suspect that there is probably water or air in the system and that a full renewal of fluid will do the trick, but I also suspect that the rubbers may have persished in the master cylinder Undecided which would be an altogether much bigger job Roll Eyes.

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 06:30:21 AM by simon131 » Logged

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »

I would also guess water in the brake fluid. Standard (non-synthetic) brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the atmosphere) so with the car sitting there for years it would have absorbed a fair amount.

It could also be that the rubber seals have dried up but I would first replace all the brake fluid for fresh stuff and then drive the car for a few miles. Hopefully you'll find that the seals swell up enough to bring back the 'feel'.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
january 131CL

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 03:58:30 AM »

Simon got a good way of getting the 131 to start. Pouring petrol into the throttle is dangerous. My mechanic did that overzealously and burned his beard luckily.

How does one bleed the brakes to replace old fluid, safetly and conclusively bearing in mind that there are certain locations where the old fluid remains such as in calipers piston chambers, forward from the bleeding points. This apart from a total overhaul of the braking system.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.