Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:07:29 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  k&n 57i high flow intake
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: k&n 57i high flow intake  (Read 16294 times)
106usj

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 08:33:40 PM »

Thotos listened to your comment and Jasohn's.
 So my solution to the crankase breather pipe going into the K&N filter.
Urban Breather Filter.
www.streetwiseaccessories.com

* DSC00720.JPG (139.54 KB, 640x480 - viewed 682 times.)

* DSC00723.JPG (129.63 KB, 640x480 - viewed 705 times.)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 08:42:13 PM »

Isn't that just the small diameter (6mm?) tube from the base of the carburettor? What about the large 1/2 inch pipe from the crankcase?

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
106usj

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 09:46:12 PM »

Thotos.
 when we first spoke about drilling that 9mm hole in the base plate of the K&N it was the 6mm pipe off the bottom of carb i was talking about.,Sorry.
I have now removed the 6mm pipe i had fitted into the base plate of the K&N, blanked off that hole and fitted the 6mm pipe to this seperate breather filter.
 Is this ok to do rather than having it going into the base plate of the K&N. Huh.

With regards to the half inch crankcase breather pipe it is just cable tied at base of engine block facing downwards.
Sorry for the confusion my mistake !!!
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 10:05:27 PM »

OK, sorry I misunderstood too. Having the 1/2 inch pipe pointing downwards with an open end is certainly not right! A lot of oil vapour comes out of it and it should not be vented to air; it's illegal in the UK anyway and an MOT failure. Also with it pointing downwards you might get some oil droplets coming out making things worse. The 1/2 inch crankcase breather pipe is the one that should be connected to the Urban breather filter you just bought.  

The 6mm pipe doesn't blow out anything. A small valve connected to the throttle spindle opens and sucks in vapour fumes via this 6mm pipe which normally is connected to the same point of the air filter housing as the larger crankcase breather. As the throttle opens the valve closes and more of the oil vapours are sucked in via the carburettor venturi.  You have 3 choices for the 6mm pipe:

1. Connect it to the K&N air filter as you did originally. This will allow the engine to suck in a lot of air at idling giving you a lean mixture. But as your car seems to be running too rich this will not be a bad thing. In fact that's probably why you had to adjust the idling because of all the extra air that the engine was allowed to suck at idling.

2. Block off the 6mm pipe. This will give a richer mixture especially at idling but assuming there's enough adjustment on your carburettor to compensate then this is possibly your best option for performance.

3. Connect the 6mm pipe to the 1/2 inch breather. This is what I did on my old Sport when I had the standard carb and K&N filter. Simply make a hole in the 1/2 pipe lear the Urban breather filter and fit the 6mm pipe to the 1/2 inch pipe. I actually used a brass fitting of the correct size and with some araldite I created a T-piece in the 1/2 inch breather and fitted to it the 6mm pipe.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
106usj

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »

You can tell i have not had a car with a carb before apart from a vx Cavalier years ago which gave me no carb problems so never had to get carb experiance all other cars have been EFI.
One thing about this site is i learn something new every week !!!.
Even if i sound stupid sometimes  Grin Grin Grin
Thanks for all the info Theo.
 subject now resolved. Cheesy Cheesy

CkRacing

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 09:04:31 AM »

Hi thats good you got your starting problems sorted thats what we are here for to help each other (well some of us anyway)
your link dont work so try this one
http://www.streetwizeaccessories.com/
106usj

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 10:19:16 PM »

Ok thanks.
CkRacing
106usj

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 08:18:25 PM »

solution number 2 incorperating the half inch crankshaft breather pipe and 6mm pipe off the bottom of the carb withthe urban filter at the top.

* DSC00745.JPG (130.35 KB, 640x480 - viewed 663 times.)

* DSC00755.JPG (134.59 KB, 640x480 - viewed 607 times.)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.