Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:54:03 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  How to change steering cardan joints.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to change steering cardan joints.  (Read 11147 times)
131DHOC

« on: June 22, 2010, 02:11:10 PM »

Hello, I'm trying to help a 131 owner from another forum, he needs to change steering cardan joints, he found new cardans on e-bay for fiat 131 but we don't know if he could remove old ones without breaking or changing some other part, as the old cardans appeart to be welded or fixed in some unknown way to the steering bar. This is my friend's steering bar:

and this is the new part:

Thank you for your suggestions.
CkRacing

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 03:17:08 PM »

sure why dont you get the whole part new off Yagmur?
then just throw away your old one dont take any chances with the steering remember Ayrton senna!
131DHOC

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 04:31:41 PM »

it seems it's possible change cardans but only specialized workshops could do that, as is for steering boxes and similar. So probably he will need the whole new part.....
sid131

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »

Yagmur has lots just email him
djape1977

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 01:49:46 PM »

just take a big hammer and socket wrench extension and hit it hard. it's probably just stuck because of rust.

get a bigger hammer!
sid131

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 04:36:20 PM »

what a wonderful philosophy you got djape! always involves the use of a large hammer lol!
djape1977

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 05:41:13 PM »

proven tecnology when u joints are involved since i change 'em myself on lada, 131 and 132 driveshafts on regular basis.

get a bigger hammer!
131DHOC

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 06:34:17 PM »

We found new cardans but definitely prefer to have the whole new part as precise fitting is essential and we absolutely don't want to take any chances..... Wink
131v6

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 09:04:59 PM »

Are you sure that is the right part? It looks to me like like a propshaft universal not a steering shaft one...

2 Dr 131 3.2, 124 Special 2.0 turbo, 850 Coupe 1.4, 850 Sport Coupe, Coupe 20VT Plus, Grande Punto Sport....and a couple of projects Smiley
Christchurch, New Zealand
Tas131

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 09:10:24 PM »

Are you sure that is the right part? It looks to me like like a propshaft universal not a steering shaft one...

That's a thought I had, but there's no reference in the photo to scale it.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
sid131

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 09:20:41 PM »

well if i was you i would get Yagmurs part as all the parts i have got off him (many many parts) are excellent & the body panels & chassis legs are way superior to the Fiat equivalents so his steering bits will be also!!
stathe174

131 S

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 10:38:55 PM »

I 'll go with sid on this one, since I'm a satisfied customer of Yagmur... Cheesy He sells original good quality FIAT parts.

My 131 Special went HISTORIC
Walezy

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 05:18:38 AM »

It is possible to change the joints, i did that few times. you need 2 sockets, a vice and something to grind down the "hit marks" that hold the old joint. first grind the marks(dremel will be good for this job) and then press the bearing "cup" so that the other one will be pressed out of the seating into the larger socket. then you need to press back the joint from the other side so that the other bearign cup will come out. much more difficult to describe then to make it.

131DHOC

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 08:37:12 AM »

Thank you all for your information, I have just talked with Yagmur, he will provide us with new parts, the part in picture is original for 131, ritmo and others, if you are interested it's still on e-bay and it's cheap, it's from an italian seller, I buyed him complete exaust line, he is a good seller, he refound immediately me for selling the wrong part not waiting it to be back. Sid131, what do you mean when you say that Yagmur's parts are superior to fiat's? I have never seen superior parts...... Huh
sid131

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 11:56:20 AM »

exactly what i said, Yagmurs panels chassis legs front panels pockets window surroungs etc etc etc are much better than Fiat equivalent, good quality zintech steel, buy some of his parts & you will have seen superior parts then!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.