Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:56:38 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Panorama collected!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Panorama collected!!  (Read 16046 times)
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« on: January 08, 2007, 07:51:49 AM »

Well, after over two months of talking about it I collected the Panorama on Saturday morning and drove it the 60 or so miles back home. It went a storm!

The initial starting was fine but as it had been sat in a damp concrete garage it was reluctant to run on all four cylinders until it had warmed up a bit, almost as if it was saying that it didn't want to leave.

The guy I got the car from has been the only driver, and has had it since new (April 1981), so is obviously attached to it. His wife had to walk away as I drove off so she wouldn't have to see it leave. All quite upsetting really, but at least it's come to a good home.

So, now the fun part starts! I drove it straight to the MoT tester on Saturday who will test it today. Then I will find out just what I've got!

My father, who collected the car with me (as even I can't drive two cars at the same time!) was very impressed with the condition of the Panorama 'in the metal' and said that it was probably (bodily) the best 131 I'd acquired in recent years! (As compliment indeed considering he has no interest in Italian cars).

I shall post again when I find out what the car fails the MoT on! I think it will need a small patch welded to the offside sill and water in the rear screeen washer bottle, everything else seems fine, but we'll have to see!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 12:21:34 PM by Administrator » Logged

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
chris131

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 03:25:28 PM »

Nice looking car indeed simon. We use to have a 131 panorama 2ltr TC. Was a great going car, and you could have put anything in the back of it.

We sold it about 4 - 5 years ago - the guy drove it come, took the engine and gearbox out of it and scrapped the rest of it (what a shame)

We then bought it back off the breaker and took all the good bits off it - which are still sitting in the shed, and the bare shell was then crushed! Embarrassed

simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 07:13:37 AM »

Thanks for the positive comments Chris. Yes, superficially at least (as I have just found out Cry) my Panorama is a lovely car.

I spoke to my MoT tester yesterday evening who confirmed the worse. Whilst the top of the car is extremely presentable, the floor needs extensive welding. He tells me that whilst it isn't going to break in half (!) it needs at least eleven, yes, that's eleven areas welded!? Cry? Probably be easier to place the complete floor!

What to do? I'm in a bit of a strange position now. Do I simply forget about repairing it and throw it away, or should I spend a small fortune (which I don't have!) in replacing the floor and tyres, and getting it up to a good roadworthy standard?

All HELPFUL suggestions considered. Sad Sad Sad

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
chris131

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 01:22:04 PM »

Didn't think I'd see the day when you needed advice on a 131 simon?   Shocked

Think this would be a hard one for people to call - you see the problem is that they're isn't that many left, so yes they are rare!

But on the other hand, there are only a select few who would even dream about buying a 131 panorama (you, me and probably about another 2 people) I know that might seem hard but i'm only trying to be realistic.

So baring all that in mind, is the car worth the ?300 - ?400 of welding. If you can do it yourself then yes definately, but if you have to pay someone to do it then i think you would find it hard to get your money back out of it.

Personally if the car just needed the welding and nothing more, and the cost wasn't over what I estimated above I would get it done and keep it - simply just for the pleasure of saying that I own one.

But definately don't scrap it - give it to some-else if you don't want to carryout the work.

Also simon do you still have the series 1 indicator lenses? If so any chance of me buying them?
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 01:44:01 PM »

Thanks for your comments Chris.

Of course you are right - no-one should spend out more on a car than it's actually worth unless it's a truely historic car and you have pots of money - neither of which (sadly) apply here! Sad I've been trying to weigh up the 'cost versus rarity' argument all night, and have decided that I should try to save the car with the least expenditure.

Since my posting this morning I have spoken to my 'friendly but extremely slow' FIAT friendly mechanic and body restorer, who I know will restore the car for me to a standard that I am happy with (and who's work should last a few years too!). This guy has worked on both my Racing and Abarth, as well as Theo's 131 Sport and Gamma Coupe, and we've always been pleased with his work - if not his speed in getting it actioned! Roll Eyes Still, I'm in no rush to get the Panorama sorted as long as it's done properly.

So, it looks like I'll have to start saving up again...but at least it will be another 131 saved - besides I need a Panorama to complete my collection of varieties of body.? Grin Grin

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 06:10:19 PM »

It's a hard call Si - The car is in such lovely condition topside. I guess the message is dont expect it in Ireland in May!

Chris - You told me the story of the scrapped 2.0TC before and the hearing dosn't get any easier the second time around - What a waste!

I'd love to get one of these in good nick and fit some Sport trim to it!

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 07:24:06 AM »

I'm going to have to accept that it won't be in Ireland this year Sad. Never mind - I'll just have to bring the Abarth - assuming it passes it's MoT in March! Huh Roll Eyes At least I now have a choice of cars to leave at home  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Still, the good news is that the Racing started first go last night after being sat for six weeks, so there is some positive news Grin Grin

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 08:30:46 PM »

simon yule ...just have to let one of the salons go to pay for iys restoration
give us a buzz when you come down to marks  Roll Eyes
jay

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 10:29:45 PM »

" GUNN METAL ALL THE WAY"   -  I HAVE to agree with that Jason!

The Panorama should be at Mark's tomorrow (Saturday) morning about 10:00am. I'll be there too ...  Smiley

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 07:14:44 PM »

...FIAT friendly mechanic and body restorer, who I know will restore the car for me to a standard that I am happy with ...

And here it is being delivered this morning to IRS (www.ItalianRaceServices.co.uk) or as we thought we'd rename it "Mark's Saturday Morning Social Club" 

And here it waits for the work to start....

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 07:54:17 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 07:59:01 AM »

Blimey Theo, didn't take you long to get these pics posted!

For those of you who don't know the people in the pic (which as usual Theo has avoided by being behind the camera!), taking the centre pic with the bonnet open, from left to right, young lad in the cap is Aston Hodgkinson; then his Dad, Jason; then me; Mark Nicholson in the red boiler suit; John Church on the right nearest the building.

It was good to see everyone again - Mark even made us a cup of tea! Grin Spent ages talking about 131s - time flew by.

I just hope that the Panorama doesn't stay sat "waiting for the work to start" for too long!

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 09:57:21 PM »

This could be the pre staging area for the english side 3ma convoy.. Grin Grin

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 07:12:55 AM »

It certainly could Jas, but at almost 100 miles from my home, it's a bit far. Besides - you'll need a 131 first! Grin Grin

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

fostertom

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 01:52:08 AM »

When I had one, my plan was to modify a Panorama L badge to read ParanormaL.
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 01:49:22 PM »

Cry Due to having to spend out yet again on my 131 Racing, I am put in the sad position of having to part with this lovely Panorama. Cry

Please contact me if you are interested in buying it.

Simon

simon_ryle@baa.com

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.