Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:39:13 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  131 sport engine query??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 131 sport engine query??  (Read 11021 times)
chris131

« on: February 23, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »

Hi, I was wondering if the engine in a 131 sport was the same as the engine in the 130TC strada. Looking at them they appear to be very similar, apart from the fact the fact that they sit in the engine bay differently.

I was wondering if any of you guys knew if they were the same and if bot, possibly would it just be the buttom end thats different?

Any help would be much appreciated??

Thanks
chris
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:11:48 AM »

I probably shouldn't be answering this because I don't really know but I am doing a bit of guessing and a bit of thinking out loud (or really thinking with my fingers on the keyboard ...)

Intrinsically all the Fiat twin cams are the same. Fiat bored out the 1438 to make a 1608 and then increased the stroke of the 1608 to make the 1756. There wasn't enough metal left to play with to make it into a 2 litre so the blocks were changed to accommodate the 1995 and with the new block design the 1.6 became a 1592.  But none of that answers your question.... I would guess that the Strada 130 and 131 Sport engines are not the same but are very similar. The main differences will be found in the head design (cams are definitely different) and in the engine mounting points. So I'd guess you can't take the engine out of one and bolt it into the other. But I could be wrong... Undecided

Incidentally, later versions of the twin cam had the head redesigned into a mirror image so the inlet and exhaust changed over sides.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 12:17:07 AM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
parrish

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:12:14 PM »

Ive got a 130 strada abarth engine in my 131 (well its actually out at the moment).
From what i understand the difference appears to be only in the crankshaft end's. Having said that im sure their may be some internal differences.
As for taking the engine from a 130TC and putting it straight into a 131 RWD car, why not? mine still has the FWD sump on, engine mounting points are the same, only modification needs to be the input shaft of the RWD gearbox. This is the subject of discusion on ANO www see: http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=720
If your thinking of putting a 130TC engine in a 131 drop me a line and ill try to help where i can.
Please correct me if im wrong.

Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
chris131

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 10:04:10 PM »

Hi, thanks for that steve, Thats what I was looking to hear, that someone else had done what I was hoping to do.
Won't be doing the transfer till after easter, but i'm sure I'll need to contact you for help.

Chris
KRENZER JEAN

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 08:22:56 AM »

hope  u 'll get my english..
I made the transformation and built a 125 ritmo in my 131; I had only to change
the flywheel ... for insering a 130 tc you'll have to find a vertical inlet pipe or remove the mastervac... 
barry

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 09:57:09 AM »

hi a question really for steve as he has done this, fitting the 130 tc engine to the 131 the distributor comes out of the back of the cam what did you do to get over this. thanks barry.
parrish

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 11:35:27 AM »

Hi Barry ,
the engine ive got has the distributor at the front of the engine? It was all done before i bought the car. I was told it was a 130TC abarth engine, certainly it has the transverse engine sump still on it, i intend checking engine numbers etc next time im home.
Have a look at the photos of the input shaft here on 'G Croft' web site. for more information.
Steve
http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=720

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
barry

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 01:00:19 PM »

hi steve thanks for that the engine i have been offered has the drive at the back possibly not a 130tc motor then, i used to have one but can't remember what that was like. also congrates on your 131 looking good. barry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.