Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:44:40 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  131 Gubio
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 131 Gubio  (Read 4774 times)
USA131

« on: September 11, 2010, 04:40:03 AM »

All,
Has anyone seen a method to replace the Gubio with a conventional  sort of U-joint arrangement?
USA131
djape1977

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 06:50:25 AM »

what is Gubio?

get a bigger hammer!
USA131

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 02:17:21 PM »

Rubber drive shaft coupling, AKA RotoFlex,Gubio etc..
USA131
djape1977

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 04:21:29 PM »

hardy's joint...
well, not that i know of. and there must be a reason for that. i suspect that lack of rubber in power transfer system would result in increased wear on some other part. u joints and clutch plate springs in the first place.
why would you want to eliminate gubio? if it's made of decent quality of rubber it usually lasts 50.000kms. low quality gubio can last 2 days and be constant source of trouble. on my twincam lada with short diff ratio and wide tyres i destroyed 4or 5 untill i found one that is ok. no cracks even after  40.000km of very hard driving with plenty tyre sqeeling.
by the way gubio from fiat 131 is interchangable with one from ladas, even niva(4x4), fiat124, 125, 132, argenta. if hard to obtain in US, try lada fans from canada. Niva seems to be quite popular there and parts are available.

get a bigger hammer!
USA131

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:58:19 AM »

I have no problem with the joint or its quality. The issue is that for the car that I am installing the engine and transmission in has a rather narrow transmission tunnel and there is insufficient clearance for the joint. If you are familiar with the Anglia it has this hour glass shaped transmission tunnel Sad.
I'd rather avoid cuttting the tunnel up.
USA131
djape1977

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 01:34:52 AM »

i've had the same problem when i installed fiat 131/132 twincam and gearbox into lada. engine position was same as original but 131 gearbox is 10cm longer than original, placing the gubio 10cm(aprox 4in) further back, into the narrow part of the transmission tunnel normaly occupied by driveshaft.
i have shaved off about 10mm from diameter of guibo using angle grinder and used big hammer from underneath to increase clearance further 10mm. now it al fits as it should but clearance is couple milimeters on both sides meaning that engine and gearbox mounts must be perfect because any sideways motion of the engine/gearbox combo causes guibo to rattle against transmission tunnel.
hope this helps you.
one more thing! if necessary, be sure to leave holes for top two bolts connecting gearbox to the engine and bolts for starter motor. i had bolted gearbox to the engine before instalation into car itself and later, when starter croaked, i had no way to remove it unless i removed engine together with gearbox from the car. only alternative was to drill hole big enough for socket wrench from the inside. later i plugged them with plastic plugs and now i can remove them and acces the bolts.

get a bigger hammer!
alan.acs

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 05:59:29 PM »

Get a one piece prop shaft made i have done this on rally cars with no problems.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.