Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:41:49 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Rusted and cracked b pillar.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rusted and cracked b pillar.  (Read 15040 times)
mirafiori76

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 09:16:40 PM »

I must agree too. I think it will be not just the pillar. That's why i suggested 4 or 5 mmm sheet metal. To bring back the stiffnes.
On the other hand i must say that i never saw a B-pillar that was so bad as this one seems to be. Wonder why this part is so rusted. And how about the lower part?

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »

Just use metal that is at least as thick as the original and you will be fine. Another thing to consider is that if you use metal that is much thicker than the original then welding two different thicknesses can become difficult.

You can never really tell how bad things are until you get in there. Things are often worse than expected Roll Eyes

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
curt

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 08:31:17 AM »

I used to see damage in this area quite a lot - usual problem was when the inertia reel seat belts didnt retract properly. The metal tang of the seat belt used to drop  to the sill and people would slam the doors on them taking nicks and gouges from that area - and then off course - in came the tin worm !! Wink

Solihull West Midlands
Still keeps hoping for another sport !
131DHOC

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 10:03:22 AM »

I have inspected the rear side of the pillar, taking off all the ancillaries and plastics, and the response is that there is only rust in the low end of the pillar, rust just stops abruptly and the rest of the pillar is fine. The sill is good in that place, no rust, inner steel pillar panel too, so I think it's just a factory fault of that part and this is why I would repair it without changing parts, it's too little and localized to change parts.
124AC

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 12:29:36 AM »

The base of the pillar sits down onto the sill and is spot welded.  From the damage I would say water has run down inside the pillar and collected in the bottom.  It rusts around the spot welds, and the pillar eventually cracks and rusts away.
Damage like this should be repaired in layers to make sure it is strong, and lasts longer than 5 minutes!
Try holding the rear door by one end and you will see just how much load this pillar has to support!

To repair:

Strip the area and remove the rear door.
Make sure the inner pillar face is sound, or repair it.
Cut away the bottom 2" of the outer pillar.
Grind the remains off the sill and remove all rust.
Repair the sill!  If the outer is this rusty, the sill will be holed.
Make a repair for the lower pillar in 20 swg or 22 swg steel.
Seam weld to pillar and plug weld to sill.

If you can't do it, or get it done, I 'm in Wiltshire and have 25+ years experience with Fiat/Lancia/Alfa repairs.

Current Fleet:  124AC Coupe. Torque tube model.  Supermirafiori 2000 S3.   Alfa Sprint Cloverleaf 1700.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat
131DHOC

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »

Thank you for your answer, I'm in Italy and I'm looking for a good repair shop, and I need to know if it can be repaired without a spare central pillar, but with a new outer sill only (which is easy to find and cheap).
Regards
124AC

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 11:23:01 PM »

This damage can be repaired by cutting out the rot and shaping sheet metal to replce those areas.
It's not a difficult repair, but take the time to do it properly if you intend to keep the car.

Good luck!

Current Fleet:  124AC Coupe. Torque tube model.  Supermirafiori 2000 S3.   Alfa Sprint Cloverleaf 1700.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat
131 Lover

Fiat power No mercy !!!

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 06:31:30 PM »

Hi!
Hope its only that part that is rotten, here where i live they put salt out in the winter that eats all cars and if its rusted o hole in some place  almost all of it is as bad but not yet hole!
Please Keep us uppdated and show the result,

Regards Alf

My name is Alf Andersson and live in Alvesta in the south of Sweden,
These are my Fiats
3X Fiat 131 -83 supermirafiori 2000Tc
1X Fiat 131 -82 supermirafiori 2000Tc
2x 131 2-door 1600cl -81
131DHOC

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 06:00:33 PM »

just waiting for leaving the car to a body shop and have an ultimate sentence. I'll keep you updated.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.