Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:43:25 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  When you hope it's all been worth the effort
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When you hope it's all been worth the effort  (Read 6888 times)
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« on: March 20, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »

The sun came out over Northern Hampshire today and it lifted my heart. I, like hundreds of others, have been through a tough time of it with work and finances over the last couple of years but today, in the sunshine, things looked a little better Grin Grin Grin

Got the Abarth started today too, which means that the summer must surely be on its way! Cool Cool

* Expensive things!.jpg (194.84 KB, 800x600 - viewed 812 times.)

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Rob 131

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 05:15:58 AM »

Simon

I would substitute 'hundreds' have been through a tough of it with work and finances for 'millions' Angry Sad Cry Cry

However judging by the metal on your drive (especially the Red? EmbarrassedOrange Embarrassed one) and what the drive is attached to, they are not that tough  Wink Grin Grin

What has happened to the Green 131S that lived in the front garden.

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

Formally Owned an Orange 1979 131 Mirafiori Sport in 90/91

UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:02:39 AM »

Rob,

If you look over the bonnet of the black BMW you can just about see the roof of the green Special. It's not a pretty sight I'm afraid. Sad I shall post some pics taken this weekend, under Roger's (Toad) thread about "PRP".

Yeah, I know that 'toughness' is relative - but this building site of a house has taken 3 and a half years to get this far and with lots of pain!  Roll Eyes But as I have said, I hope I'm coming out of this period in my life, if only slightly. Grin

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Rob 131

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:07:27 AM »

Simon

Nothing like taking your work home with you  Grin. Three and a half years is a long time, I hope the wife gave you the appropriate Extension of Time to the Project.

How did you manage to hang on to the Garage during the build. When we extended our house (Chester) in 2005 adding 100m2, I gave up the garage for 4 months. I parked my Imola Red 330i Sport at my parents and bought an old (9 year old) 155 Twin Spark Wide Body to run around in. Enjoyed it.

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:11:08 PM »

Tell me about it! Roll Eyes

Moved from a modern 4 bed detached to the house you see above - but when it was literally half the size and only had 3 bedrooms(!) - in June 2007, with the intention of extending and modernising. Big plot for a suburban area (about half and acre) so ample room for expansion.

Had planning permission and building regs approval by the following Jan and "went out to tender" to local builders. Took references and visited work of the lowest three and duly appointed. Work started 'on site' in March 2008. Thing I didn't know was that the builder I entered into contract with was a crook!  Shocked Didn't have skilled workforce and had no idea of how to Project Manage Roll Eyes I found out after they had removed my roof that one of the 'partners' had been banned from running, or having anything to do with the management of any company for seven years(!), after HMRC took him to court for fleecing them out of almost ?500k!  Shocked And he was still banned during my contract period! Needless to say, I 'managed' their account and terminated the contract. Angry All very stressful and worrying.

For months afterwards we had suppliers and sub-contractors knocking on the door demanding payment, despite me paying the builder for their services. The double glazing company even threatened to come to our home and remove goods to the value of the outstanding money the builder owed him - right up to the point I reminded him that he didn't have a contract with me and that entering my property was trespass! Shocked Lots of sleepless nights I can tell you. Cry

The plumber they employed to install my new boiler and renew the gas to my cooker was not CORGI registered either! Shocked When I confronted him with that fact the plumber said he'd get a mate who was registered to certify the installation for him. Shocked He must have thought I was mad!!

Anyway - I now have a 'new' builder who I have been using for the last 18 months to rectify all of the outstanding issues with the original build as well as complete additional works (correctly!) but so far it has cost me about ?20k to put right all of the errors from the first builder. Shocked

You couldn't write it! It's been terrible. We've had to live with it everyday and with three kids too! It was only Christmas week that we managed to get carpet in the lounge - for the first time in three years.

The (double length) garage was never going to be touched. Ironically, we were moving to this house so that we had the space to accomodate the large 'fleet' I had at the time - which I have had to sell to pay for the rectification works. Cry

Character building I'm told. Grin

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

Heini131

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 05:08:01 PM »

Even in Germany the sun comes up Wink

See this two models bathing in the sun Grin

* DSCI0330.JPG (203.18 KB, 640x480 - viewed 743 times.)

Fiat 131 S 1.6 green, Fiat 131 Walter Röhrl orange,Fiat 131 mirafioriSport orange
Rob 131

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 05:33:35 AM »

Simon

That does sound like a proper nightmare on the home front, especially with house prices dropping in 2008 Cry. It is bad enough dealing with Construction Disputes in work when I have appointed Expert Lawyers, Programmers and Claims Consultants Shocked.

With your own domestic housing projects, everyone (colleagues etc) at the time advised me to give the job to 1 contractor. I did this against my better judgement and from superstructure (I wanted to do the foundations, drainage and slab) to completion with me procuring the materials it was contracted on this basis.

However, although the builder did a superb job on the envelope, his finishing works (and the people he employed to do this) I quickly identified were of a poor standard. I omitted all these works from his contract and employed the indivdual trades myself. I did incur remedial costs although they were minimal.

At least the housing market in the South East appears to be picking up again Wink Smiley, so I am sure it was all worth it.

UK
Rob 131

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:39:51 AM »

Heini

They look a wonderful pair. I especially like the S1 in this Green Cool Smiley

UK
parrish

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 04:38:37 PM »

The sun's shining in Spain and i decided to pull her out give her the once over and take a few photos, then i got the FIAT out the garage Grin

and for those that are wondering! yes she is up and running, not perfect but she goes around the block now.
Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »

Looking good Steve. Cool

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

Rob 131

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 04:54:21 AM »

The Word's Spain and Abarth conjure up some memories  Smiley and it would be interesting to know what happened to the car.

The year was 1987 so I would have been a car mad 14 year old and we were having a family holiday in Majorca. My Dad and I went to the Main Aqua Park just outside of Magaluf and as you came through the reception and into the park was an Orange  Full Rally Spec 131 Abarth up on Ramps as a Show Car. I remember at the time the car generating a great deal of interest. The Aqua Park was adjacent as I recall to a Karting Circuit.

It is a long shot but maybe it is in a Museum somehere Wink

UK
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.