Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 06:13:59 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  What if...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What if...  (Read 6975 times)
mick131

« on: September 25, 2007, 05:49:36 PM »

.... Abarth had developed the 131 beyond it's last competitive rally spec ?.

Would it have evolved as the Delta did into a Group B car, albeit it name only, or would the 031 have been it's ultimate ?.

Mick Wilson
Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire, UK.
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 05:50:29 AM »

A very interesting subject this Mick Grin

I suppose the natural progression would have been for Abarth to develop the engine with superchargers and turbos, as they did for Lancia on the 037.

Then the next rallying 'norn' was four wheel drive, as adopted by Audi and Lancia initially and then taken up by all Roll Eyes

I'd love to see a 131 fitted with the 037 engine and Integrale four wheel drive system. It would go like a rocket! Grin Grin

In fact didn't the 037 have four wheel drive? Perhaps we should just re-shell one of those Grin Grin Could someone approach FIAT Auto for a few bob sponsorship for this World Beating Retro-Classic?? Cool Cool

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Tristan

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 12:00:45 PM »

037 was only ever RWD , mid rear engined Si. We have one! Grin
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 01:11:35 PM »

I stand corrected. Thanks Tristan Wink (My knowledge of Lancias is extremely limited - as I've just proved Undecided Wink

I that case I'll re-shell an Integrale and stick a supercharger on the original 2000 turbo'd unit. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Tristan

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:36:50 AM »

I always did maintain that the 131 Abarth was the Impreza of the 70's , all scoops and fury.... How cool a 4wd would be!
mick131

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 04:56:29 PM »

You know I had thought about using the Integrale's running gear/engine as did my brother, but it was just too expensive to get a complete car ( even a written off one  Cry.

My shell is pretty much bare and if I I could have got my hands on one for a small fee then I'd certainly have given it a go.

I then realised that it was one of those thought's you get when you think you have nothing else on the car to do !!.

Still would be a very interesting project. Guess you would have to look into track dimensions/driveshaft layout/suspension etc but I bet it could be done.

Mick Wilson
barry

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 07:05:24 PM »

Hi guys it's quite funny seeing this thread because i had the same idea so went out bought a very rotten integrale think it was kept on the beech. Any how had it sat next to the 131 to do some measuring, the lancia is roughly 3inches wider track but the engine bay seemed to be the biggest problem the width between suspension turrets is too close without major cutting and remodeling so i decided just to use the engine and running gear including diff, brakes etc but have two wheel drive. Once i started stripping the lancia that also made up my mind because they are pigs to work on have to take the front suspension off to get to the alternator, so nice longitudanal engine with space either side for me. barry. 
gerafiori
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »

i wonder how would an alfa164 q4 work, this would give u the v6
4x4 set up, might be easeir than an integrale?
gerry.............
barry

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 01:41:27 PM »

Hi Gerry iam not saying that integrale instal wouldn't work it was just too much messing for me, but the numbers arn't too far out the front track on the 131 is 1376 lancia inte 1426, the back is 131 1319 and lancia 1406 but the wheel base is very close the 131 2490 the lancia 2480. Things like props and driveshafts can modded by the the right people the lancia diff is totally different so i gave the two props to a company with the measurments and bingo they didnt bat an eyelid. Barry
gerafiori
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 09:26:18 AM »

i rthink u would have a lot of welding to do in relation
to the grales engine mounts{5 in total}.
i just sold my grale parts car today;
oh no maybe i should have kept it, this thread is
getting convinceing
gerry....................
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »

Making a space frame frontend is the way to go,if your good at welding , a mate has done a few on pro-steet yanks firebird and mustang ,he just took the panels off ,cut
every thing upto the bulkhead . then starts welding tubes and mounting plates for every thing u need , rose jointing mounts and elongated holes to measure it all up to adjust all angles it looked so simple?Huh

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
mick131

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 07:15:13 PM »

i wonder how would an alfa164 q4 work, this would give u the v6
4x4 set up, might be easeir than an integrale?

Gerry..I'll have a word with my brother as he's an Alfa nut and was going to buy one but bought a V6 instead. Years ago I bought a Fiat Coupe 130 engine with autobox, but soon realised it was far too heavy for the 131 .......

Had thought about spaceframing, as below, but would need something to practice on first.. haven't got the guts to just start chopping mine as yet  Grin.

Mick Wilson
gerafiori
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 08:22:16 PM »

the last sport i sold was getting cut both ends for a
space frame, this is beyond my skills
that a fine picture of a space frame job looks like
a alfa v6 in it
reg gerry............... 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.