Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:48:10 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  131 mirafiori ohv head gasket problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 131 mirafiori ohv head gasket problem  (Read 4302 times)
fi131

« on: September 22, 2011, 10:33:57 PM »

I had my 131 ohv cylinder head rebuilt last month , because in a typical service the oil filler cup was removed and the engineer saw  a "white cream" below the cup which he claimed to be  sign for blown gasket .
He removed the cylinder head and noticed that the  gasket's metal rings (where the gasket surrounds the combustion chamber's ports) were torn,on the other hand the block itself was in relatively good condition .As a result my head was polished with new valve seals inserted ,  valves were refined too and a complete cylinder head gasket set was installed.
After 60 miles since the  c/ head rebuilt i removed the oil filler cup again myself .To my surprise i noticed signs of this white cream again.I drive immediately the car to the garage again and i showed the filler cup to the engineer . He claimed that it will let some vapour pass through for  the first runs , he also claimed that is common for this type of engines to leave few moisture  appearing below the cup Undecided.As you may already know in the oil filler's neck there is also the oil fume port that leads to the carb through a black rubber hose .
Is this a reasonable explanation or am i facing a new head gasket blown again ?
Another odd thing is that i noticed very few oil glimpsing where the block attaches the cylinder head.
The explanation again was it will let few drops to glimpse in this point until it drains Sad
Can anyone helps .. do i have to worry about for a new rebuilt after only 80 miles ?
Or  is this common in the beginning
mirafiori76

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 01:59:36 AM »

Seems like a problem the 903 engines seem to have as well. Sludge covering up the oil filler lid. It's just vapor mixing with oil which is rallying in the top side of the engine. Really, nothing to be worried about. I think you could have solved the problem by just driving your car a couple of miles and getting it at the right temperature....
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:58:57 AM by mirafiori76 » Logged

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:53:10 AM »

I agree with Mike. It's quite common for the OHV engines to get some sludge in the oil filler tube and the air breather pipe (the black rubber hose) especially if only driven for short distances in cold and dump weather. So it all depends on amount really; if you are not loosing coolant and you don't have to top up the radiator then I'd say nothing to worry about. Clean it out and take the car for a nice long drive to get the engine warmed up well and if you have no sludge (or very little) then don't worry about it.  Same goes for the oil leak. A very small amount of oil can look bad due to it attracting dust and dirt which gets stuck and makes it look worse than it is. So if your oil level is not going down (which would signify a large leak) then clean up the oil seepage and see if it comes back.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
fi131

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 01:45:12 PM »

Thanks for the reply.I should get used to little sludge below the filler cup.

As for the oiled spots , I wiped out around the oiled spot where the block attaches with cylinder head , a couple of weeks ago ,but after a few miles  i noticed that there is still  a glimpse of  few oil .I thought that since a new gasket was installed the mating surfaces should be perfectly sealed.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.