Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:27:39 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  131 Rear half shafts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 131 Rear half shafts  (Read 4860 times)
Sev131

« on: November 14, 2011, 10:30:57 PM »

I removed the half shafts on my Lime 131 Sport today as both wheel bearings seem noisy and had far to much play.

I found 2 brand new half shafts complete with the bearings fitted and several used ones. I decided to fit the new shafts only to find that the ones i removed were 10mm longer and a lot thicker in size. I always thought all the 131 diff fitment of internals were the same. I suspect the diff is from a late 131 Super series 3 or it has 132 internals.

Go's to show why my dads seies 3 B89 NLA did 120k on the original diff and still going with just a slight hum from the pinion bearing.

mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »

The series 3 has a wider track than the series 2. I guess the rear axle must be wider.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Sev131

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:52:16 PM »

I'll measure the diff tomm. I also suspect that series 3 axles are a lot stronger.
david

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:43:02 AM »

The series 3 does have a wider axle and the half shafts are longer and slightly larger diameter on the spline end.
If your sport has the longer halfshafts someone must have fitted a series 3 axle at some point.
The weak point on these axles isn't the halfshafts its the pinions which break up.
I have never had any trouble with the halfshafts breaking or the splines shearing on them with either type.
As you mention noisy rear halfshaft (wheel) bearings are a quite common problem.
Sev131

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:25:20 PM »

I suppose that's why the mid range and top end was so good. Pulls like a train.
david

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 07:02:54 PM »

It sounds like you had a 10/41 fitted ?  Take the backplate off and count the teeth on the crownwheel.
They do have it stamped on the front of the axle but it will probably be covered in old oil and may not be legible now anyway
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.