Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:20:58 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Supermirafiori MkIII wiring diagram
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Supermirafiori MkIII wiring diagram  (Read 19915 times)
131DHOC

« on: January 19, 2013, 10:10:40 AM »

Hello, I have managed to locate the clockwatch and the radio wiring to cut them and so avoid battery discharge, as the watch is broken and I suspect it's the cause of battery leak, and because the radio is modern and has memories fitted and maybe it absorbs too much current. I know that I can remove the instrument panel and disconnect the watch, but I don't want to proceed like this because to remove the radio fuse too I should take off the gearbox trim and a seat and this is too much work for such a little issue (the radio is bolted backwards to the dashboard steel panel). I just want to cut the two wires in the fuse box that feed the clock and the radio and to do so I need the colour scheme of the wiring. Does anybody of you have this scheme for a supermirafiori MKIII?
Thank you for your time....
longhamrob

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 11:40:22 AM »

I had this problem with a series 2 131r.  The battery used to go flat in about a week.  I realised there must be a drain & checked out Google as to how to check this with a multimeter.  It was the radio.  Because there is no accessory position on the ignition switch you are tempted to connect both positive (usually yellow & red) to permanent +.  This creates a pulse which is is constantly discharging the battery.  The easy way round this is to trace the ignition + wire at the ignition switch when the ignition is ON & connect your accessory wire into that using suitable amperage new wire as your radio wire will not be long enough. Your permanent + remains as before.  As the ignition circuit is not fused it is advisible to put in an inline 5amp fuse in your new wire.
 Problem solved and the radio turns off on the key.
131DHOC

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »

My radio has memories that would shout down when I turn off the key and above all Is bolted at the backside so I can't gain easy access to the fuse. In any case what I need is a way to identify the radio and clock wires on the fuse box, so I can cut them without dismantling anything.
longhamrob

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »

If you wire it this way you have one wire that is permanently connected to positive so the memories remain.
If somebody bolted it in then you must have room to unbolt it. There are only 7 bolts that hold the dash in so to loosen it enough to gain plenty of access should take no more than half an hour, about the same time as the new wire will take you.  If you cannot spare the time reach under the dash & carefully feel the wires and pull them down, identify the positive & cut it . No need to cut the wires near the fusebox. The next owner may wish to reverse your 'modifications'.
131Steve

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 03:05:12 PM »

Hi there, from what I can see the clock is powered through fuse number 10 so that would straight forward hopefully....

The only down side is that this also powers the cigarette lighter and some courtesy lights (and possibly the radio if they have used the original "permanent live")

I'll attach some diagrams...

* IMG_0006_rsz.jpg (372.12 KB, 2440x1944 - viewed 928 times.)

* IMG_0008_rsz.jpg (207.26 KB, 2552x2008 - viewed 943 times.)

Silver 131 Racing 1980 (previously two 131 S2 1600TC Supers, three 131 Sports, one 131 S3 Super 2000TC)
131Steve

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »

you may want to isolate the clock only which means disconnecting it from the back of the Instrument Panel, it's connection number 11 as below.  That shouldn't be difficult hopefully.

The second diagram shows which other things are on the same fuse so you can trace it through if you want....

* IMG_0004_rsz.jpg (394.67 KB, 2552x3504 - viewed 921 times.)

* IMG_0005_rsz.jpg (459.16 KB, 2416x3492 - viewed 947 times.)

Silver 131 Racing 1980 (previously two 131 S2 1600TC Supers, three 131 Sports, one 131 S3 Super 2000TC)
131Steve

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »

and lastly the key for the wiring diagram  Wink  Best of luck

* IMG_0001_rsz.jpg (485.53 KB, 2444x3492 - viewed 901 times.)

* IMG_0002_rsz.jpg (441.48 KB, 2552x3504 - viewed 971 times.)

131DHOC

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »

you may want to isolate the clock only which means disconnecting it from the back of the Instrument Panel, it's connection number 11 as below.  That shouldn't be difficult hopefully.

The second diagram shows which other things are on the same fuse so you can trace it through if you want....

Yesssss! This is exactly what I need, thank you very much. To longhamrob and 131steve: I know how to disconnect the watch and I was the person that placed the radio 18 years ago so I know how hard it was but now I don't want to stay behind the car too much, I have just loosed lots of time a month ago to locate spares and repair the car after a car accident, I need to cope with this without annoying myself further.
Tas131

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 06:28:06 AM »

If your battery is going flat, don't blame the clock or radio, find the problem. I haven't had a flat battery in 6 years, and my clock and radio work fine. Measure current draw from the battery with the ignition off, if it's excessive, pull fuses until you find which circuit is the issue.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
longhamrob

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:15:50 AM »

I dont think the owner may be as enthusiastic about his car as others.  As Mick says, it is a very very easy job with a multimeter to find a parasitic electrical drain. Quicker than changing a wheel.  When i tried other (modern) radios before i found my problem, they all created a draining pulse.  When the 131 was new they did not expect to have a permanent memory supply to the radio as they were push button tune so far as i can remember. 
131DHOC

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 10:09:33 PM »

If your battery is going flat, don't blame the clock or radio, find the problem. I haven't had a flat battery in 6 years, and my clock and radio work fine. Measure current draw from the battery with the ignition off, if it's excessive, pull fuses until you find which circuit is the issue.

I'm not blaming radio or clock blindly, I have a 25 year experience with this car, so I inmediately found checking fuses where the leak was and kept away the fuse number 10. As my clock is broken it's probably here the issue. Also the radio is just 18 years old and has electronic memories, so here we have another candidate. The rest is internal lighting (it's ok) and cigarette lighter, and electric antenna which is ok too. I could measure current draw using a multimeter but it was not necessary: just removing and reputting in place the single fuse I could see the spark and detect electricity leak. Now, the car stayed a week without the fuse and with battery on and it's perfectly functional, so I think I was right.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:46:51 PM by 131DHOC » Logged
longhamrob

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »

Thats a very long time you have had the car.  Apart from that 1 owner U.S.A  Fiat brava you could be one of the oldest.  Have you not got a radio now?
kevin

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »

great info contained in these posts
the battery in my 131 sport was draining after 4 or 5 days,had to disconnect the battery every time
a real pain hopefully now i might get to the bottom of it
what a great site
 Smiley Smiley Smiley
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 09:27:19 PM »

Radios with station memory take very little current so not likely to be the cause of battery drain. But modern radios with Bluetooth take a lot of current! I fitted such radios in both my Lancias and they would drain the battery in a matter of days.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
131DHOC

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »

Thats a very long time you have had the car.  Apart from that 1 owner U.S.A  Fiat brava you could be one of the oldest.  Have you not got a radio now?

I confirm that the leak was from fuse 10, the battery is still good after ten days without this fuse. the radio has been fitted in 1994, but has almost not been in use because of the removable front that I never take with me. I just feel the need of a radio when I drive alone which is not usual. The car is still in daily use as ever, so I need it to be pain free. I could remove and replace the watch but really not interested in it. The radio has some issues, as cassette player only sounds in left loudspeaker, AM switch is not running and tuning is not easy, so maybe it leaks current too. If it was not so painful remove the radio I'd have yet it done.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.