Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:37:33 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Supermirafiori MkIII wiring diagram
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Supermirafiori MkIII wiring diagram  (Read 19916 times)
131DHOC

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »

Just add that I checked all users with a multimeter and these were the results: watch no leaks, lighter no leaks, inner lights no leaks, radio just leaking 36mA, which seems to be ok to keep memories on. Now, how can a 36mA leak drain a 45Ah battery in 10 days?
longhamrob

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 06:38:51 PM »

It just does.  Good job finding the leak.  Excuse my correction but a watch is a timepiece worn on the wrist (mostly).  I think you mean clock.
Should you change your radio & you still have the correct size aperture (which even to this day remains the same size), your new radio will come with a sleeve that locks your radio in place. Thats it. There is no further fitting required. Since all radios seem to adopt the same wiring loom these days you could upgrade or change radios in the future within 60 seconds.
In my own car, in view of the increased weight of modern cd players, i have put a matchbox sized 3mm piece of rubber directly under the radio that rests on the bottom of the dashboard to stop any chance of it rattling or making the cd jump.
131DHOC

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 08:00:23 PM »

It just does.  Good job finding the leak.  Excuse my correction but a watch is a timepiece worn on the wrist (mostly).  I think you mean clock.
Should you change your radio & you still have the correct size aperture (which even to this day remains the same size), your new radio will come with a sleeve that locks your radio in place. Thats it. There is no further fitting required. Since all radios seem to adopt the same wiring loom these days you could upgrade or change radios in the future within 60 seconds.
In my own car, in view of the increased weight of modern cd players, i have put a matchbox sized 3mm piece of rubber directly under the radio that rests on the bottom of the dashboard to stop any chance of it rattling or making the cd jump.

My english is spotty so don't take it too seriously. The radio has a custom rubber seal all round to avoid rattle and give good finish. In these days radios were retractile and had an iron drawer to go into. Now there are aluminium cases that are smaller and have not the same fitting. Anyway, it seems normal to leak 36mA to keep memories, so maybe I should shift to an old radio with no current drain when tuned off.
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 08:34:15 PM »

36mA is a bit much just for memory storage in a radio but not by much. I would expect 10mA to 20mA.
36mA will drain a 45Ah battery in about 50 days but if your battery is not new it may drain in about 10 days?
Have you done a battery drain test at the battery to see if anything else is drawing current or do you have just 36mA drain at the battery terminal?

The 131 radio aperture (with all the original radio fittings removed) is not DIN-E standard. DIN-E or DIN 75490 (later ISO 7736) was not adopted as an international standard until 1984. The 131 radio apertures are considerably bigger so the modern aluminium frames for radios don't fit very well and don't hold the radio units in place well.  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:40:54 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
longhamrob

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 09:14:49 PM »

Thats interesting and very specific but the radio aperture on my 1979 series 2 is good as damm it the same as standard 'din' apertures of today. My other 1981 car is the same. My cd player sits perfectly on both cars.
Regarding the current loss it is common knowledge in the car hi-fi world that modern radios have a noticeable current draw but when wired up with a permanent AND accessory positive i.e 2 sources you will not have a problem. This was not an option on a new 131.
131DHOC

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 10:06:35 PM »

I'll check the fuse number 9, the third from the left, that's the only one with number 10 that remains permanently wired to positive, and electric window and central locking fuses that are apart.
131DHOC

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »

No leaks from radiator electric fan nor from horn. I think I need a radio without electric memories. Does anybody know if there are such radios with simple an classical aesthetics i.e. no coloured digit screen and with no blue led face?
Tas131

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 11:03:18 PM »

I'm sure with a bit of homework you'll find something closer to home.
http://www.vintagecarradio.com/store/index.php?cPath=20_54&osCsid=2270a0e2765ad311bb1d83a7ee245759
These probably still use power for memory. You need an old push button radio for your station preset channels.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 11:20:27 PM »

Fiat did an oe push button radio did they not?

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 11:40:31 PM »

But most cars have radios with memory without a problem. You need to check current drain at the battery so you know the total current been drawn when the car is sitting unused. If it's just 36mA and your battery goes flat in 10 days then change your battery and not the radio.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
longhamrob

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 10:26:37 AM »

It is not the radio memory that is causing the problem. It is the accessory wire being constant live. It is not expected to have a continuous supply.
131DHOC

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »

It is not the radio memory that is causing the problem. It is the accessory wire being constant live. It is not expected to have a continuous supply.

What do you mean by it's the accessory wire being alive? Radio has no separate wire for memory and power, so if connected will ever leak 36mA. I measured the leak at fuse num. 10 and this was the only leak, fuse num. 9 shows no leak and others are not feeded when key is off. I can check directly the battery, but I think I'll find 36mA again.
131DHOC

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 09:16:36 PM »

But most cars have radios with memory without a problem. You need to check current drain at the battery so you know the total current been drawn when the car is sitting unused. If it's just 36mA and your battery goes flat in 10 days then change your battery and not the radio.

In effect, 45Ah divided by 36mA is just of the order of 50 hours as stated in the previous page. So I'm doubting the battery is not good, although it's just six months old.
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 09:34:43 PM »

What do you mean by it's the accessory wire being alive? Radio has no separate wire for memory and power,

Most modern radio units have two "power" connections. One is meant to be live all the time and provides power for the memory functions. That's radio stations, CD track and position, mp3 list track postion etc depending on the functions. The second "power" wire is the one that actually makes the unit work and that's normally connected to the accessory position of the ignition switch so that if you want to listed to the unit without the ignition being on you switch the ignition key to "Accessory". When wiring such a radio with two power wires in a 131 which doesn't have an "Accessory" position on the ignition, the common practice is to connect the two power wires together and connect them to the single power wire for the radio provided in the 131. But I don't think that's your problem unless you have a very modern unit with Bluetooth that will draw about 200mA.

In effect, 45Ah divided by 36mA is just of the order of 50 hours as stated in the previous page. So I'm doubting the battery is not good, although it's just six months old.

I think you meant 50 days and not hours?
That's what I think too. If your only drain is 36mA and your battery goes flat in 10 days then it must be the battery. Even if it's only 6 months old it may have been faulty by the time you bought it (was there a manufacturing date on the battery?). It's also possible that the battery has been damaged by being let to drain and leaving it flat for several days or weeks before recharging it. I 'killed' the battery in my Gamma that way due to the Bluetooth radio. The battery would go flat in a matter of days and over the winter because I didn't use the car I let the battery flat without recharging it so in 9 months it was dead. But I managed to get a free replacement under warranty  Cheesy. I've now re-wired that radio so the "accessory" wire is switched by the ignition which means I can't listen to anything unless the ignition is on. I've also taken wise advice from Simon's book and disconnect the battery when I put the car in the garage and don't expect to use it the next day.
But before you go out and buy a new battery, check the current drain at the battery to be sure. There are circuits which are not fused and there may be other wiring faults which would draw current not detected when checking at the fuses. If you just have 36mA at the battery then it must be the battery that's at fault.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
131DHOC

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 10:39:58 PM »

Yes 50 days I ment. Maybe it's the battery, I'll check directly at the poles and if it gives 36mA again I'll sentence it to death  Grin (I have already checked the alternator and it works and charges the battery).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.