Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:30:10 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Corrosion hole on the roof
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Corrosion hole on the roof  (Read 6491 times)
131DHOC

« on: April 09, 2013, 12:42:18 PM »

Hello, this is about a corrosion hole on the roof:

As you can see there's a hole and when it rains water spills in. By now there are absolutely no leaks to the interiors, but I would know where does water spill go instead. I see lots of full restorations in this forum so, anybody knows what's going on this car?
124AC

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 04:08:09 PM »

Hi, I have the same problem on the same colour car!

I think this is a case of condensation forming at a point where there is little paint coverage.  It then rusts through to the outside.

You need to check very carefully as the water will be running down inside the screen pillar and down the door pillar.  This will lead to weakening and damage that is serious.  Yagmur has the screen pillar panels if you need them.

I am going to remove the area around this and the screen pillar cover to clean and repair mine.

Interestingly my car was stored in a concrete garage for 12 years.  It may be this that led to the condensation.

I will show pictures of my repair on the forum as I get the car done this month.

Thanks
Duncan

Current Fleet:  124AC Coupe. Torque tube model.  Supermirafiori 2000 S3.   Alfa Sprint Cloverleaf 1700.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat
131DHOC

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »

Nice to know that I'm not the only with a metallic brown supermirafiori, it's my favourite colour for this car! Please post some pictures when yours comes from the paint shop, I love this colour...
124AC

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »

Hi, this is mine.

Cheers
Duncan

* BAR X.JPG (153.54 KB, 1084x779 - viewed 526 times.)

Current Fleet:  124AC Coupe. Torque tube model.  Supermirafiori 2000 S3.   Alfa Sprint Cloverleaf 1700.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:10:32 PM »

Was this the romford one ?

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
124AC

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:35:04 PM »

Hi

Yes it was.  I collected it and intend to rescue it.

The car is actually fairly solid.  I have repaired much worse.  I have a new sill for the NS, and a pair of front wings.

Mechanically it is OK and is about to get a full freshen-up to make it reliable.  I have all the parts to rebuild the brakes, and a full engine service kit.

My lad wants to drive it to Brooklands on May 4th

Maybe I will see you there?

Cheers
Duncan

jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 06:49:27 PM »

yep should be there ,we should be meeting up before hand

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
131DHOC

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »

Mine has been 25 years outside on the road so nothing strange, door sills are as bad as you can imagine and there is some corrosion on the basis of the b-pillar and on one longheron, and on other structural places.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 08:49:44 PM by 131DHOC » Logged
124AC

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 07:53:55 PM »

Hi

I just purchased a sill that is new old stock.  Surprise is that the panel I got is an original Fiat full sill with light surface rusting.  Once clean it will be a perfect fit.

If you are interested PM me and I will direct you to where you can buy both sides.

Thanks
Duncan

131DHOC

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 08:11:09 PM »

Hi

I just purchased a sill that is new old stock.  Surprise is that the panel I got is an original Fiat full sill with light surface rusting.  Once clean it will be a perfect fit.

If you are interested PM me and I will direct you to where you can buy both sides.

Thanks
Duncan

Thank you but I will not restore this car, too much complicated. Just worried about water spill and inner leaks...
131DHOC

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 07:21:41 PM »

Rustol:

Fiberglass:

This is the provisional repair, just to avoid more corrosion and possible water leak.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.