Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:53:16 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Exhaust Manifold Studs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Exhaust Manifold Studs  (Read 7252 times)
keith m 131

« on: May 24, 2013, 07:33:51 PM »

Hi all,

I noticed that I had a slight leak from the exhaust manifold so I tried to tighten up the nuts but in doing so I noticed that two of the studs were turning with the nuts. The studs that are turning are the second one in fron the front and the second one in from the rear.

I am planning on removing the studs and using Helicoils to repair the threads, when the helicoil gets screwed in to position a tab on the inside of the helicoil needs to be knocked of and withdrawn using a magnet then the stud can be inserted as before.

I havnt removed the studs yet, so my question is, do any of the stud drillings protrude into any oil galleries in the head, because If they do I will have to remove the head to retreive the metal tab from the helicoil to prevent it getting into the engine.

Your input would be appreciated.

Regards

Keith
TOAD

Green Eye Motorsport - Home Of The Toad

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 07:51:01 PM »

Hi Keith,

If any stud holes went into an oil way, you would have had oil P--sing out around the stud. I think there blind Cool    Some holes go into the water jacket though.

Video of Big Toad Build up.   www.youtube.co.uk/evotoad
keith m 131

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »

Hi Toad,

Forgot to say its a 2ltr twin cam, the reason I asked is because I seem to remember reading a post a long time ago about something similar and I thought it said that the drilling near the rear went into an oil way, so just wanted to check.

Keith
TOAD

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 08:45:47 PM »

If you remove the stud, it would be oily or remove it and crank it over, you'll soon find out, there's no point in me looking as there are different castings around, but I will be a monkey's uncle if there is one like your asking about Grin

keith m 131

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 09:13:33 PM »

I understand exactly what your saying, unfortunately the engine is out of the car at the mo doing some gaskets etc and touching up some engine bay paint etc so cranking over not an option at the mo, will take the studs out and have a prod with some wire. " a monkeys uncle" its a while since I heard that one. As I say I have read it somewhere and it has stuck in the back of my mind maybe because I thought it was odd.

Thanks Toad

Keith
TOAD

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »

Ok, but if there is an eight valve out in the workshop I'll have a look just the same.

keith m 131

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 09:23:59 PM »

HI Toa

I have just remembered where I had read about oil leaking from manifold bolts, I read it on fiat spider .com, I have copied a section of the thread that mentioned it

"the upper 2 exhaust manifold blots go thru into the oil return galley/inside the cam housing, they will leak, the lower bolts go into a blind hole and cannot leak.

Is this correct?

Keith
TOAD

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 09:27:31 PM »

I'll have a look if I have one to get to,  but UUUU AAAA seems like a good start  Grin

keith m 131

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 09:28:47 PM »

You've lost me there,
TOAD

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 09:29:46 PM »

A monkey's uncle  UUUUU AAAAA

catch you later

Roger........

keith m 131

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 09:33:04 PM »

gottcha, cant wait to have a poke around tomoz

Keith
keith m 131

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 09:39:29 PM »

Found this on there aswell

since the upper exhaust studs are very oily, there is a good chance the oil is leaking around the stud itself. The two upper stud holes are drilled all of the way through the cam housing, so they are open to the oil under the cam. Those studs need to be tight, and sealed on the inside of the cam housing. If I were you, first I'd clean that side of the engine, then remove the cam covers and clean the end of the studs and holes on the upper exhaust manifold studs, Then apply some rtv sealer and let it dry completely before running the engine again. I'd check the head bolt torque and cam housing torque. Also check the rear cam plate for tightness. Possible leak points are the rear cam plate, upper exhaust studs, dist base gasket or internal seal, cam housing or head gasket.
TOAD

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 09:50:03 PM »

And so,
UUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAA
UUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAA
 Grin

still going to have a look

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.