Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:13:02 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Shock Absorbers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shock Absorbers  (Read 10590 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: February 03, 2007, 09:30:32 AM »

I'd like to get new shocks for the front of my car - There is a slight fluid leak from one of them.

I've tried motor factors who have the Munroe brand listed but they cant supply.

Looking at Ebay they seem to come up fairly regularly but I cant be sure if they are suitable for the Sport/Racing version. Does anyone know if the shocks for that version are different and if so, whether you can get away with fitting the lesser version on a car isn't going to be used on any rally stages!

For example on Italian Ebay at the moment these are available.

http://cgi.ebay.it/FIAT-131-AMMORTIZZATORI-ORIGINALI-FIAT4435007_W0QQitemZ300077592469QQihZ020QQcategoryZ18328QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And these (although is "anteriori" italian for rear?)

http://cgi.ebay.it/FIAT-131-diesel-Coppia-ammortizzatori-anteriori-BOGE_W0QQitemZ130074516312QQihZ003QQcategoryZ105377QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 07:58:46 PM »

ive swop loads over, so they are all the same.no differance in rates soa new set of 1300 cl will be a lot better than a knacckered  set of sport ones ,i had monroe gasmatic and cut down 210lbs springs rock solid,
LEDA used to do rebuilds years ago.

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
covjek

FIAT 131 SUPERMIRAFIORI 2.5 D

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 08:20:35 PM »

I put Monroe brand on my diesel last year and they are fine for now Cheesy.Cost me cca. 60? a pop.As for the links,anteriori stands for front and the second pair (diesel) is a refurb i`m afraid.

Vedran Svircic
Zapresic,Croatia
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 10:37:46 PM »

I am sure Simon will correct me on this but I believe FIAT always gave different part numbers for the shock absorbers for different 131 models so they are meant to be different (but not necessarily! Undecided). Certainly the springs are different for the different models. But aftermarket manufacturers like Monroe gave the same part number for all 131s. Diesels might be different but they were not available in the UK so not normally listed on UK stockists' lists. Monroe Gasmatics were meant to be 20% Uprated over standard so not the same as FIAT originals. I had the Monroes fitted to my Silver 131 Sport and they were very good. They should still be readily available. Let me know if you decide on a set and if you can't get them I'll check with my local stockist who seems to have a lot of Monroes for older cars; they even supplied a pair of inserts for the Gamma!

A word of warning though if you decide to change them yourself following a Haynes manual. The manual is wrong! You MUST fit the spring compressors BEFORE undoing the top mount!  Shocked

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Yagmur

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 04:10:54 PM »

Hi,I have shock obserbers if you still need.
yagmur
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 09:05:48 PM »

Thank you all for replying.

Theo - Thats an interesting idea on the Monroes. I know that your 131 suspension is a little lower and stiffer than standard. Is this as a result of the harder Monroes or some other modification?

I would not like to make the ride any harder considering some of the local road surfaces.

Yagmur - Thank you for your kind offer of shocks. I notice that you have a few postings about parts of sale - In fact the forum has a distinctly commercial feeling of late (contributed to by me as well I must admit) - I wonder should we try to corral such postings in one area separate from the rose-tinted, mindless, nostalgic, etc etc ....ramblings of the rest of us? What do you think Theo?

Yagmur - Were you considering posting a parts list with part numbers, condition, prices, etc? Also how to order and examples of shipping costs. I'm sure that it would be very interesting to the many fans of the 131.

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 09:17:58 PM »

Hello Kevin,

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The Monroe shocks were fitted to my Silver 131 Sport - this one:

The Monroes didn't have any effect on the ride quality, they just worked as shock absorbers very well.

My current Gunmetal Sport is fitted with adjustable Konis and non standard springs which are shorter and (much!) stiffer. If you look at your photos of the five 131s at Ratoath, my car clearly looks the lower of the lot! But don't worry, I am going to have all my fillings checked before setting off for Ireland to make sure none of them work loose  Grin 

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 09:46:40 PM »

Actually having re-read your original comments Theo, you DID make yourself clear - I hadn't read them clearly enough.

Thanks for the offer and if I dont source something locally soon I will take you up on it. Having driven your car (albeit slowly) over a speed hump I'm glad to learn that you DONT have Monroes fitted - Which makes them an option for my requirement!? Grin

Thanks

K

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
chris131

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 09:52:43 PM »

Hi kev, I have a pair of new genuine fiat front shock absorbers. The part number says that they are for a fiat 131 1300cc, but they look identical to the sport one's that I recently fitted to my black car.

If you interested in them and want some pics just let me know?

Regards
chris
Yagmur

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 06:46:33 PM »

Thank you all for replying.

Theo - Thats an interesting idea on the Monroes. I know that your 131 suspension is a little lower and stiffer than standard. Is this as a result of the harder Monroes or some other modification?

I would not like to make the ride any harder considering some of the local road surfaces.

Yagmur - Thank you for your kind offer of shocks. I notice that you have a few postings about parts of sale - In fact the forum has a distinctly commercial feeling of late (contributed to by me as well I must admit) - I wonder should we try to corral such postings in one area separate from the rose-tinted, mindless, nostalgic, etc etc ....ramblings of the rest of us? What do you think Theo?

Yagmur - Were you considering posting a parts list with part numbers, condition, prices, etc? Also how to order and examples of shipping costs. I'm sure that it would be very interesting to the many fans of the 131.
Yagmur

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 06:55:38 PM »

Hi Kev 131,
İt is impossible to posting all the parts with parts list.I have just post the pictures of body parts with parts numbers by help of Theo.
My parts are all brand new with high quality.As example for shipping prices.
I sent 1380kg of rally parts that manufactured by me  to UK last week,it costed 780 Euro for adress delivery.There are Turkish trucks between two countries once a week.So I can supply all 131 fans anypart they need.
best wishes
yagmur
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 07:34:12 AM »

Whatever 'anteriori' is the Italian for, the photo shows front shocks Kev.

Remember that changing the shocks will not change the ride height of your car, or the 'firmness' of the ride. This is done by the springs. Whilst the dampers may offer faster (or slower) rate of damping, it's the springs that are crucial in the overall performance of the suspension.

Theo is quite correct when he says that FIAT listed the shocks for the different models of 131 under different part numbers - but I think that this was mainly so that they could charge more for the ones fitted to the higher spec cars! Roll Eyes (Although dampers for the Racing/Sport usually have this printed onto them).

The springs were marked with different colour paint marks on them, each for a different rating (firmness), making it easier to identify them when changing, as springs, like dampers, should be changed in pairs.

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Tristan

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 07:39:50 PM »

you may find some useful info here , Kevin.     
 http://www.mirafiori.com/dave/s-imp131.html It gives you Kayaba part numbers dude
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.