Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:03:52 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  reverse gear light switch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: reverse gear light switch  (Read 7678 times)
131DHOC

« on: June 05, 2014, 03:24:39 PM »

hello, my 131 has a small failure, the reverse gear lights after 32 years working are now just gone. I suppose it's the switch on the gearbox. Can anybody tell me the exact model or reference for a 1982 third series 131 supermirafiori, 1367cc twin cam? The box is 5 speed. Thank you for your help, I just cannot look at it by myself because I have no car elevator and the car cannot stay without this part in place as the oil would spill....
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 04:01:21 PM »

I suppose you have checked the fuse? Have you checked the wiring and if that seems ok have you checked the switch with a multimeter?

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
131DHOC

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 04:27:46 PM »

I checked all fuses, no breaks and also noted that some times the lights work, but normally not. So I think is the switch. Apart this, do you think it may be just a loosen wire or plug?
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 05:59:40 PM »

With fiat wiring yes  Grin Grin

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 06:55:18 PM »

I checked all fuses, no breaks and also noted that some times the lights work, but normally not. So I think is the switch. Apart this, do you think it may be just a loosen wire or plug?

Yes connection problems are common but as your reversing lights are intermittent I'd agree with you that the switch is the most likely cause. It's easy to change but still worth checking it before changing. 

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
131DHOC

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 07:03:48 PM »

Maybe it just needs some cleaning/checking? Anyway, any picture of the item for a 1982 MkIII supermirafiori?
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 10:52:43 AM »

Yes if the switch is intermittent then using some switch cleaner might make it work but if you are going to remove the switch to clean it you might as well fit a new one.

Check the two wires going onto the switch and make sure the connection is good and clean. If that's OK then take the two wires off the back of the switch and join them together. Put the ignition on and if the reversing lights work  then the wiring and fuse is OK so it must be the switch. 

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
131DHOC

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »

Thank you for your help, the issue is that I could buy the wrong thing if I don't know exactly the reference or have picture or data as diameter and lenght of threading, as there may be different ones depending on the age of the car.
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 06:53:34 PM »

Sorry, I don't know if they are all the same   Undecided

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 09:00:45 AM »

Not totally sure but I think they probably are all the same. From memory it's at the top of the tail of the box so you can exchange it from inside the car and you shouldn't loose any oil Smiley

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
131DHOC

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »

Not totally sure but I think they probably are all the same. From memory it's at the top of the tail of the box so you can exchange it from inside the car and you shouldn't loose any oil Smiley

hello, do you recognize this item as the correct one?

Thanks....
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »

The bit outside the box looks familiar. Can't remember taking one out so not sure about the part that goes inside the gearbox.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.