Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:54:29 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Museum Fiat 131 Sport
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Museum Fiat 131 Sport  (Read 5959 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: February 08, 2007, 12:17:18 AM »

I heard a rumour of this car's existence a few years ago from an Irish Fiat enthusiast who was visiting the island of Malta on holiday. Having been recently in touch with this gentleman again, he kindly let me have the website address which appears in this thread.

In one of the photographs you can see the car in the far background - It's in that non-descript orange colour that they come in!!!? Roll Eyes In fact the car is? VERY orange.

Anyway I whisked off an e-mail to the museum with some questions about the car and cheekily asked for some photos. I had answers and a full set of photos within 24 hours together with permission to post them here.? Grin Grin

According to the owners, the car was originally registered in Malta in 1981 (and is therefore RHD) and the speedo seems to say c45k miles but the museum could not say if this was accurate. The car seems original except for the wheels (which strangely, seem identical to a second Maltese registered 131 Sport which may therefore indicate that these were the standard wheels for that market.? Huh) The museum are very proud of it and it sits boldly amongst a collection of Fiats including a very nice series 1 125S in white (I have pictures of this also if anyone is interested).

Anyway here are the photos for your pleasure. I'll finish by saying that if you are ever in Malta this venue seems to be a must for your itinerary, both for the selection of Fiat and Italian cars as well as the friendliness of the owners.? Wink

http://www.classiccarsmalta.com/

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 01:30:53 AM »

Nice looking car and interesting that it's Right Hand Drive and badged as Racing.
The wheels are classic 4-spoke Revolutions (http://www.revolutionwheels.com/classic_fourspoke.shtml)  which were very popular aftermarket wheels for the 131 Sport/Racing and any other rally bred breed. Still widely available if you'd like a set for your car Kevin.

The car has obviously been in regular use for a while and possibly has been resprayed at some point. Certainly the grill has been sprayed black like so many others have. Shame really as I think the cars look so much better with the grill in the original gunmetal grey. Also missing one of the chrome strips on the rear number plate mount.

The HT leads are not original  Undecided. OK I am getting silly here (so I won't mention the fuel filter where there isn't meant to be one  Undecided) but I would like to know what the strange orange corrugated pipe across the back of the engine is supposed to do. Clutch cable is also a bit short and goes over the engine instead of round it  Huh 

Also interesting that even though it has radio cassette fitted there are no speakers in the door panels (which were standard on all UK cars).

OK, I'll stop here  Grin. Please don't let my rumblings take away anything from the fact that it's a lovely looking 131...  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:33:11 AM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 07:49:37 AM »

Theo, I thought that it was only me who owns (and often wears) a 131 Sport/Racing anorak - did I leave it at your house?? Grin Grin

I'd have to say that I noticed all of the items that you picked out too - so perhaps we are both a couple of saddos who need to get a life!? Tongue I think the car is fitted with a clutch cable from a LHD car - hence the fact it's shorter Shocked

I wouldn't say no to it though - that's for sure! It's lovely - I want it - and it's RHD Cool Cool

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.