Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:14:00 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Throttle linkage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Throttle linkage  (Read 11569 times)
leigh

« on: February 09, 2007, 07:37:53 PM »

Just found your website, looks very good.Glad to hear your all coming to Ireland this year....
Looking for help finding throttle linkage for my engine which was in my 1974 Vauxhall Magnum when i bought it......i assume these engines came with some type of spring return as the throttle cable currently lies on top of the rocker cover and is damaging it.You might be able to make it out from this picture:

I was told it is a 1600cc unit from a 131 Mirafiori (and i never seen the vehicle it came from so dont give out to me for cutting up a fiat!!!!)
Any help would be appreciated

Simply sideways
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »

You seem to have a more serious problem as your radiator is missing!? Grin

Seriously though, I can't make out the throttle cable. The clutch cable looks wrong as it goes over the engine (should go round it).

There's normally a bracket fitted to the inlet cam carrier and the throttle cable connects to a pivot on the bracket. The other end of the pivot is linked to the carburettor throttle spindle with a solid linkage. I can't see any of that in the photo so I suspect someone has connected the throttle cable straight to the carburettor so the cable is resting on the cam cover (there are no rockers on a? Fiat twin cam so you don't have rocker covers, you have cam covers? Smiley ).

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
leigh

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 04:15:37 AM »

Thanks for all that.....radiator is currently getting recored as it was rotten!You're right that the throttle cable goes directly to the carb - the guy i bought it from has kindly made up the gap with a piece of thick wire that looks like a clothes hanger and it is this that is eating my CAM cover (my mistake earlier - thinking of my other car).....clutch cable is all wrong - where does this usually go around?
Any idea where i can get the pieces i'm missing?I'll get u a better picture at the start of the week so i can illustrate the botch job more clearly
Again thanks for the reply, much appreciated

Simply sideways
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 08:55:32 PM »

My 131 is fitted with two 45DCOE carbs and therefore the throttle linkage is different to standard so unfortunately I can't show you a photo of what it should look like. That also means I should have the throttle mounting bracket and pivot somewhere ... Huh I'll look for it when I get a chance.

Is the carburettor on you engine the standard carb for that engine? Maybe the linkage was changed because the carburettor has been changed?

Is the gearbox fitted to your car also a Fiat unit? The clutch cable on RHD Fiat 131s runs around the front of the engine and is supported by a small bracket held in place by one of the cam belt cover top nuts.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
leigh

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 07:05:45 PM »

The gearbox is the fiat unit, i think the bracket for it has been moved to the top of the engine - where it currently lies across the front. Carb is standard too as far as im aware Huh
I took some more pictures, maybe these might make the "throttle cable incident" a bit more clear:

Any better idea of what i'm on about?Excuse the state of the engine, its been sitting for a long time!!
Any help would be great, appreciate comments so far

Simply sideways
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 08:25:03 PM »

Yes I can see what's been done. It looks like a home made bracket sitting on the exhaust cam cover and a long and loose cable going under one of the HT leads onto the carb. You must have a lot of free-play on the throttle!

The cable bracket should be mounted on the inlet cam cover. In fact you can see the two studs (one with a loose nut on it) on which the throttle bracket with pivot should be fitted to.

I think your best option is to get the proper bracket. Someone reading this in Ireland must have an old engine somewhere with the bracket still fitted! 

The radiator looks good! It also looks like a Fiat radiator. Can I ask how much it cost to have it re-cored? I was quoted ?80 (about ?120?) to do mine but I haven't done it yet.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
leigh

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 09:57:32 PM »

Yeah , the rad is the fiat one from the same donor vehicle i believe.....it was 80 pounds (sterling) and has turned out well. Thanks for the help with the bits, and yes there is quite a bit of play on throttle!Anyone out there with the cable bracket? Let me know pleeeeease
Appreciate the advice Thotos

Simply sideways
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 10:27:17 PM »

Of course you have the other option of fitting a pair of side drought 45's in which case you won't need the original throttle linkage. Believe me, the Fiat Twin Cams respond very well to twin carbs  Grin
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 10:32:16 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
leigh

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 01:02:35 AM »

The fiat twin cam may well respond very nicely to twin 45's but i cant imagine my bank manager will be loving them as much!!Are they not ridiculous money?Would look superb though......ooooh, your a bad person putting these notions in my head!!

Simply sideways
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 10:36:11 AM »

I said twin carbs would be good, I didn't say they'd be cheap !
You can start with the manifold; there's one on ebay here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-131-ABARTH-ALQUATI-INLET-MANIFOLD-WEBER-DELLORTO_W0QQitemZ220082395594QQihZ012QQcategoryZ9903QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The carbs are expensive new but often come up for sale used so if you are patient you won't shock you bank manager too much but you will continue to shock him with your persistent and frequent visits to the petrol pumps  Grin

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
leigh

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 12:05:20 AM »

Yeah, i was hoping to use the car quite regularly and i dont think it wood look quite as good with the trailer towing the fuel tanker i'd need to supply the 45's!!I'll keep trying to find the stock part for the time being and see what i can come up with.Thanks again for the help theo, anyone else out there who wants to find their old throttle linkage a tidy new home?Huh?

Simply sideways
parrish

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 02:24:23 AM »

Leigh,
im currently fiting a pair of 45's to my 131, old bracket will be surplus to requirements.
Im at work at the moment (ME) however im back home (Spain) at the end of this month, then back to the UK for a week at the end of April, if you can wait and still havent sourced a bracket illsend you the bracket ive taken off.
Remind me later
Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.