Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:59:02 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Replacement Stereo question...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Replacement Stereo question...  (Read 5480 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: February 03, 2008, 08:23:34 PM »

This weekend I decided to treat my 131 to a new ICE system. The existing & original Blaupunkt radio/cassette unit is in excellent condition with super sound reproduction from both cassette and tuner, the latter improved with reception interference suppressors.

The main problem is the absence of RDS capabilty which means retuning regularly on a long run.

I also fancied the ability of being able to play CDs as the novelty of old cassettes has worn off as they need changing over far too frequently - No auto reverse feature in those days!

So I started looking around at options and always liked the look, sound and feel of Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer units for a car system. However Sony has just launched a system with more power output than I could need (52w X 4) plus Bluetooth connectivity for the mobile phone and an input for the Ipod - All for ?199 fitted. I could see the journey to Belfast ferry port shortening by the minute!? Wink

Well it all went wrong on Saturday morning. The aperture in the "designer" 131 Sport dash is slightly larger than the claimed DIN standard that the Sony unit is constructed to so the mounting cage that is the normal style of fitment for modern radios would only grip the opening on 3 sides leaving an unsecure top edge along with a 1/2mm gap.

The fitter could not guarantee that the system would be securely fitted and could therefore rattle and knock on the road.

Question : Has anyone else encountered this problem when upgrading to a newer radio unit - If so, does anyone have a good solution or recommend a model that fits the opening well?? Huh

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:32:17 PM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:50:04 PM »

Yes that's right. The dashboard hole in a 131 is bigger than the DIN standard hole for radios. I believe it's an American standard size. Most old Volvos have the same size aperture. You used to be able to buy special adaptors to convert the aperture to a DIN standard hole but they are probably not easily available any longer. How is your current stereo fitted? It's not a Fiat factory fitment as they used to be Voxsons  or did the German 131s come with Blaupunkts? In both my 131 Sports I modified the original Voxson mounting bracket to take a standard DIN sized stereo. You may be able to modify your existing mounting bracket to take the new Sony stereo.

Soon I intend to replace the existing Pioneer CD/Radio unit in my Sport with one of two spare Blaupunkt CD/Radio units I have so I'll take some photos while I am doing it.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »

It's not a Fiat factory fitment as they used to be Voxsons? or did the German 131s come with Blaupunkts?

As far as I know Blaupunkt were standard in Germany - Certainly looking at how this one was fitted and with no evidence of previous removal/fitting I would say this is correct - Also Irish spec Sports had Blaupunkt when new.

The style of fitting are poles apart. The old version had 2 flat alloy mounting plates that fitted outside and up to the opening - The radio is pulled forward against the inside of the opening by the tightening of 2 large nuts mounted on the volume and tuning spindles. They locked the unit tight against the dashboard/mounting plates.

In the newer style you fit a rectangular cage (DIN dimensions) and about 3/4cm, deep, to the dash. This is "fitted" on four sides to the opening by bending back multiple mini stays and once secure on all 4 sides the radio unit slides into the cage and locks in postion only being capable of removal by using bespoke keys to release the unit from the cage again - It's really chalk & cheese where the mechanics of the 2 styles are concerned. The cage approach has been around since at least the 80s so I guess that someone must have come across this challenge for a 131 before.

Certainly let me have the photos of how your current Pioneer radio is fitted when it is removed (and maybe the replacement ones) please - It might help me. Ta

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:56:16 PM »

I had the same problem when I had my Pioneer tuner fitted to my 131. I have now gone all original and reverted to a Voxon? Grin? I think I made up some sort of adaptor plate for it. Try autoleads, they do many adaptors and may have something suitable.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
theredx19
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 11:22:35 AM »

Why are you all worried about radios for, what about the bark of a twincam as she hits the red line before an up shift  Grin Grin Grin do people listen to radios in other sports cars  Wink
ger

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 04:36:40 PM »

Dave,  I love the sound of a sport or any spaghetti wagon for that matter ,but I have to agree with Kev on this one. I'm on the road nearly everyday and you do need music, news , traffic reports, etc; Cheesy. One of the trips that is a regular is Belfast and not having the latest up todate radio/cd/ dvd/ sat nav in the car can be a major pain. Actually it could save you from cracking up on the long trips on your own. Apart from the beautiful views and breath-taking  countryside on the 3ma'08 thats going to be encountered in Scotland, Kev treat yourself, by the way the interior of your car is immaculate. Who is going to install the new one for you ? Did you get a good deal ? Was it in Limerick ? Cool

cheers GER

Die Young at a Very Old Age.............3 times 131 owner(1300/1600cl & 2lt Gun Metal Grey Sport) and now the proud owner 01 Punto Sporting 1.2lt  6 speed 16 valve (black); 89 E30 BMW 316i; 96 Saab 900 ; and a 7 seater for the clan
markwilliams131

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 10:54:13 PM »

i put a new cd player in my sport for 3ma 07
yes it dosnt fit all i done was get a small bit of carbord between
the cage and yhe dash until its tight put up 900 milles that week
and didnt skip once will put up pics when i get a chance

131 sport x 4  lancia beta volumex coupe rover sd1 vitesse mini 1275gt
mk2 golf gti  1.9 205 gti   opel omega mv6     alfa 156
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.