Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:42 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Rear brakes sticking
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rear brakes sticking  (Read 3950 times)
parrish

« on: February 24, 2019, 05:19:50 PM »

My rear brakes are binding.
This can happen at any time but seems more prevalent after I use the brakes and stop at a junction.
Ill be stripping them down some time but was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?
Regards
Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
david

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 05:02:18 PM »

I had trouble in the past with seized rear load valve that would lock the rear brakes but that was only at high speed.
Henk

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 07:02:52 PM »

I agree with David
I assume these are drums, not disk at the back, right? if shoes and springs are ok it could be the load valve
the rear brake load valve should decrease brake pressure at the rear when the nose goes down and increase with heavy loads at the back.
check the pull /push rod  attached to the valve (position and function)

Old brake hoses can also cause problems as they can develop a sort of one way direction where the brake fluid will not flow back after releasing brake pressure keeping the cylinders under pressure

Overheating of brake fluid combined with poor return to reservoir could lead to similar problems but not typically rear drum brakes

Henk
Fiat Mirafiori 1.6 A1.00
MB W114 280 C
Honda CB750 1972
BMW E30 318 Touring
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 10:48:25 AM »

Old brake hoses can also cause problems as they can develop a sort of one way direction where the brake fluid will not flow back after releasing brake pressure keeping the cylinders under pressure

Yes, I had that problem too. The braiding inside the hose rusts and expands closing the hole. Brake fluid goes one way under pressure from the pedal but won't flow back easily causing the brakes to bind. The brake hoses look fine though as you can't see the braiding inside the rubber. Open the bleed valve and if you still need to apply quite a bit of pressure to the pedal for the fluid to come out, replace your hoses.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.