Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:40:33 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  For Sale and Wanted (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Yellow Fog Lights NEEDED!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yellow Fog Lights NEEDED!  (Read 5113 times)
pintopower

6 Ford Pinto's, 4 Fiats, a barn, and 2 cats.

« on: February 13, 2008, 02:21:40 AM »

I am looking for the amber (yellow) fog lights that many of you have installed on your inboard lights on 131's with the quad head lights. Where are you getting these? I cannot find them ANYWHERE in the US. Can some one sell me a set? Can I buy them over seas? No one uses amber lights in the US so I have resorted to using the amber lights on a US spec Mercedes W123. Is there a specific kind of light to use?

1979 Fiat 131 Brava
1980 Fiat Strada
1978 Fiat 124 Spider
1980 Ford Pinto Wagon I4
1980 Ford Pinto Sedan I4
1979 Ford Pinto Wagon V6
1977 Ford Pinto Wagon V6
1974? Ford Pangra Wagon Turbo 4
1976 Fiat 128 3p
1986 Fiat Ritmo Cabrio
Los Angeles,
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 06:39:15 AM »

Amber headlights are actually illegal throughout Europe now too, but I think what you have seen is a French car fitted with amber bulbs in the inner headlights Huh

Before the days of "EU dictation" and "Rule from Brussels", French cars were legally required to run amber headlights, as the authorities believed that amber light had a greater penetration in the dark, and especially the fog, than standard 'white' light. Obviously, these days, with the advent of , and wider use of high temperature gas filled bulbs, such as Xenon, 'white' light is far better than even amber.

Pintopower, I think that you'll struggle to find amber headlights for a 131, but you'll probably still find someone selling amber bulbs.

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 08:26:56 AM »

The cheap way is to get that yellow/gold paint and apply to the outside of the lens - Messy & probably very inefficient where light is concerned though.

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 09:28:24 PM »

Simon,

I can tell you for sure that the yellow "french"lights are allowed here in Holland! I have also the documents for checking cars for the dutch MOT. I thought, but if you are interested I can look for that, it is not allowed on carts anymore built after 1998. That means on older cars there is no problem. I am pretty sure that in France it is also allowed on older cars.

* DSC04432.JPG (149.59 KB, 640x480 - viewed 397 times.)

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 06:44:28 AM »

You are of course correct Albert Grin What I should have said is that amber headlights are no longer legal for NEW vehicles in Europe.? Wink

Yes, I was aware that they were also used for older cars in Holland too, I was simply referring to a picture on this forum where a French 131 Sport can be seen with them - I hope you are not offended my friend. Now we can see them on a beautiful Dutch Alfa too Grin Grin Cool Is this one yours too Albert?

The one (only?) good thing about most European Laws is that they are usually unable to enforce then retrospectively. There are several Road Traffic Laws in the UK that are applied to our vehicles at the MoT, that are related to cars of certain age. A drivers door mirror must be fitted to cars registered after August 1976 (I think!), and rear fog lights on cars after 1982 but must have a switch that either lights up or has a 'indicator' to inform the driver that it's turned on. Then there are the emissions tests, etc.

I'm only glad that my old cars don't have to undergo the full and upto date MoT meant for newer cars as they'd never pass Roll Eyes I don't think the old Twin Cam would pass the emissions test for a start. Undecided

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
pintopower

6 Ford Pinto's, 4 Fiats, a barn, and 2 cats.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 12:44:58 AM »

Ok, what I meant was fog lights I think. Honestly, all I want them for is looks. In California, we really dont have fog, or at least where I live, but i have to tell you, I love the look of the members quad headlight racing/sports with the yellow inner fog lights. Are those things that all of you can purchase from an auto parts store in Europe? I had no idea that Europe was getting more strict with cars. I know that the MOT in England is pretty hard to deal with. We have a SMOG check in California that is hell. The cars need to pass, on a dynometer, cleaner than they were when they were new. It is killing a lot of cars in california, where the car culture, due to climate, is every where. The law states that all cars 1976 and newer need to be smogged, forever. No only that, but they are getting more strict every year. They wont be happy until all older cars are gone.

1979 Fiat 131 Brava
1980 Fiat Strada
1978 Fiat 124 Spider
1980 Ford Pinto Wagon I4
1980 Ford Pinto Sedan I4
1979 Ford Pinto Wagon V6
1977 Ford Pinto Wagon V6
1974? Ford Pangra Wagon Turbo 4
1976 Fiat 128 3p
1986 Fiat Ritmo Cabrio
Los Angeles,
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 09:42:07 PM »

Lucky me living in Holland. Of course we also have a lot of unloved rules but at least with older cars we are pretty free.

Simon, yes indeed is it my car. Bought 11 years ago in a scrapyard in Italy as a victim of catalystrules in Italy. By then 1st careful owner and 166tkm on the clock. After purchase I drove it 45000km without missing a beat. Then we had to revise the head. One day we did a partial respray. The car is unwelded in an outstanding condition with 245tkm on the clock, runs beautiful and won every now and then prizes in little concourses. She is next of the 131 my pride and joy. Every winter she sleeps in the storage under a cover and around april I cannot wait to see her, start her and drive with her beautiful noise!

* DSC04434.JPG (143.4 KB, 640x480 - viewed 383 times.)

* DSC04435.JPG (153.66 KB, 640x480 - viewed 404 times.)

bellamacchina  Albert

bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 09:42:30 PM »

* DSC04436.JPG (141.83 KB, 640x480 - viewed 376 times.)

bellamacchina  Albert

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.