Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:14:21 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  nothing happens when turning the key
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: nothing happens when turning the key  (Read 3972 times)
Henk

« on: May 27, 2020, 06:42:17 PM »

Before I start with my multi meter, maybe some body has a quick suggestion where to look first...?
this evening my wife wanted to take the fiat but after turning the key nothing..
no dash lights, no starter, nothing...
Battery is good, all fuses (inside) seem to be ok and most KL+30 functions work (interior lights, hazard lights etc)
never had any indication of this problem to happen or problems with starting whatsoever....

ignition/ starter switch maybe? any suggestions?

Henk
Fiat Mirafiori 1.6 A1.00
MB W114 280 C
Honda CB750 1972
BMW E30 318 Touring
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 01:38:52 PM »

It could be the ignition switch or the main power wire (brown, I think...) from the fusebox to the ignition switch. You need to get your multimeter out...

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Henk

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 03:28:38 PM »

Hi Theo
it is running already, easy find Grin
indeed the thick brown power supply, two pin connector at the ignition switch
see attached pic.
thanks for your feed back, forum is still alive (however, in the past you would have had multiple replies within an hour but that has changed Embarrassed)
cheers henk

* 2-pin connector ignition switch.jpg (526.33 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 537 times.)

Henk
Fiat Mirafiori 1.6 A1.00
MB W114 280 C
Honda CB750 1972
BMW E30 318 Touring
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 10:19:08 PM »

I thought the brown wire was the most likely culprit  Wink
That's quite a bad burning/melting! Did you get rid of the connector completely?

Yes, unfortunately this forum is nearly dead. Everyone's on Facebook now but it's not the same  Cry  Facebook doesn't keep the history. A forum is much better for car lovers of a specific make and/or model that don't want to talk about much else...  Undecided

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Henk

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 01:09:06 PM »

Hi Theo
Yes, did replace the complete connector (with silver plated contacts now), should last for another 40 years, I noticed the brown wire coming  from the battery to the connector is a 6mm2 wire but the last  section from the connector to the switch is only 2.5mm2,
would only make sense if there were other 2.5mm wire junctions on this 6.0mm wire...

I agree on your opinion about the forum (and facebook) but I am a old school guy I guess... will keep supporting it.

BR
Henk

Henk
Fiat Mirafiori 1.6 A1.00
MB W114 280 C
Honda CB750 1972
BMW E30 318 Touring
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 01:16:20 PM »

30 Amp wire connected to a 12 Amp wire via a 10 Amp connector and the circuit draws 40 Amps  Grin  That's Italian electrics for you!  Grin Grin  Grin

Thanks for supporting the forum. I'll try and keep it going as long as possible...  Cheesy

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Henk

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 02:11:17 PM »

yes indeed, I wanted to write "so far for Italian electric engineering" in my previous reply but didn't ...
didn't want to upset my Italian friends Grin
Keep up the good work!

Henk
Fiat Mirafiori 1.6 A1.00
MB W114 280 C
Honda CB750 1972
BMW E30 318 Touring
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.