Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:35:11 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Wipers and front brakes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wipers and front brakes  (Read 3726 times)
stathe174

131 S

« on: August 07, 2020, 08:09:04 PM »

Has anyone done something that helps improve the wipers speed?
Also what can we do to install bigger front brakes? from which car and wich disk size can we put without much trouble?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 08:14:42 PM by stathe174 » Logged

My 131 Special went HISTORIC
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 08:26:23 PM »

A new wiper motor or a well reconditioned, cleaned and oiled old motor will greatly improve the wiper speed.

I have front discs from a Bravo on my 131. Full set of disc, carrier and twin piston caliper is a straight fit but you must have 14 inch wheels. Nothing bigger than standard will fit behind the 13 inch wheels.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
stathe174

131 S

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 03:24:45 PM »

Γεια σου Theo, what I meant was if we can retrofit a motor from another model, like from a 147, which is faster than the original. Also the bravo calipers are just bolt on the original front struts of the car? Do you ave a photo?
Thanks!

Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 10:38:19 PM »

Καλησπερα Σταθη.

I don't have  147 and never seen its wiper motor but I doubt it'll fit. Ive looked at my Alfa GT (147 in a pretty frock) and my 156 but the wiper motor is hidden behind panels so I couldn't see. The wiper motors in Lancia Beta and Gamma are the same as Fiat 131 but the Lancia versions have two speeds and intermittent while Fiat 131s have just a single speed and intermittent. I think Series 3 Fiats might have had two speed wipers but I've never had a S3 131.

Having said all that, the two speed Lancia wiper motors are not fast either. My Trevi has Intermittent (i.e sometimes works, usually doesn't) slow speed and VERY slow speed. The Gamma is not much better having Intermittent, normal (slow) speed and a dash mounted switch that's supposed to give high speed but more often than not just stops the wipers!

Why do you need faster wipers anyway! It rarely rains in Cyprus!  Grin

Yes, the Bravo caliper carrier bolts straight onto the hub of the 131. I don't have any photos of the brake setup on my Fiat but I need to do some work on the brakes so I'll take some photos and post them here.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
stathe174

131 S

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »

Ευχαριστώ πολύ Theo, I'm Panagiotis from Athens and here we have a bit more heavier rain than Cyprus  Cheesy
I think that the wiper motor fron the GT and the 147 is the same. Either way I need a faster motor than the original one. I will wait for the photos. Thank you very much again.

Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 08:30:37 PM »

Συγγνώμη Παναγιώτη  Embarrassed  I got confused and thought you were one of our Cypriot members. I am getting old and forgetful....  Sad  But the last time I was in Athens it was 42 degrees C in the shade and no drop of rain! Even cars were running to hide in the shade! See the Thesis below Grin

A newer faster wiper motor is likely to be a two speed motor so you'll either have to make some arrangement to switch on the higher speed or just wire the high speed only to the 131 stalk.

Sorry it's been too hot in London, even for a Greek to work on car brakes! I'll get you those photos soon.

* Thesis in Athens.jpg (417.71 KB, 1655x1006 - viewed 399 times.)

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
stathe174

131 S

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 11:09:23 PM »

Ευχαριστώ πάρα πολύ! Of course I will wait, no worries!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.