Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:43:06 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  For Sale and Wanted (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Timing belt kits
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Timing belt kits  (Read 3046 times)
Spikey

« on: January 09, 2021, 07:21:43 PM »

Hi everyone,
Looking to replace my timing belt and idler/tensioner pulley wheel (bearing) on my 2.0L twin cam engine. Does anyone know where I can get them from in the UK? I have trolled tinternet and ebay but there are just so many to choose from and trying to cross reference parts that will fit my engine is a mine field. 
There doesn't seem to be any kits out there for the 131 that includes the belt, idler pulley wheel and water pump.

Also, I may need to source a replacement starter motor or solenoid (difficult to see what make it is but the alternator is Magnetti Marelli, so I can only assume that the starter motor is of the same make).

Engine is a 131 standard 2.0L 8 valve. Fitted is a 'Gates' timing belt with 148 teeth and 19mm (3/4")wide.

Thanks,
Chris
chris131

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 08:15:46 PM »

Hi, I have all those parts new in stock. I have sent you a private message.

Chris
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 08:24:32 PM »

Hi everyone,
Looking to replace my timing belt and idler/tensioner pulley wheel (bearing) on my 2.0L twin cam engine. Does anyone know where I can get them from in the UK? I have trolled tinternet and ebay but there are just so many to choose from and trying to cross reference parts that will fit my engine is a mine field. 
There doesn't seem to be any kits out there for the 131 that includes the belt, idler pulley wheel and water pump.

Also, I may need to source a replacement starter motor or solenoid (difficult to see what make it is but the alternator is Magnetti Marelli, so I can only assume that the starter motor is of the same make).

Engine is a 131 standard 2.0L 8 valve. Fitted is a 'Gates' timing belt with 148 teeth and 19mm (3/4")wide.

Thanks,
Chris

The water pump is not driven by the cambelt on a 131 so there's no need to change the water pump unless there's a problem with it. There certainly won't be a belt kit with the water pump. In fact I don't remember ever seeing a kit for the 131.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Spikey

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 09:40:30 PM »

Hi Theo,
I had completely overlooked the fact that there is no need to replace the water pump at the same time as the belt, so thank you for that. Pump has been in for a while but it is not showing signs that it is about to fail anytime soon.!
Chris
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 12:05:13 AM »

If the water pump does fail in the future, you don't need to disturb or go anywhere near the cam belt to change it.
I would also go as far as to say you don't really need to change the tensioner bearing either unless you have one of the cheap plastic ones! The original metal tensioner bearings last far longer than the cam belts. If you do change the bearing, make sure it's a good quality metal one and not a plastic one. Something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-DOHC-124-Coupe-Spider-16-18-2000cc-Fiat-131-2000cc-Cam-Belt-Tensioner/293690757281 should be OK. It's the bearing being slightly convex that ensures the belt rides in the correct place on the pulleys. If your belt is riding too far back or too far forward, then you should definately change the tensioner bearing.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Spikey

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 10:14:30 AM »

Theo that's great stuff, thanks so much for your input on this.
The tensioner on my engine is the original, so approximately 38-40 years old. I just feel that it would be prudent this time round to change the bearing as well as the belt.
Regards,
Chris
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.