Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 08:38:08 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  How Many?? And what to do??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Many?? And what to do??  (Read 9761 times)
chris131

« on: February 21, 2008, 06:42:01 PM »

Hi, I own a 1978 fiat 131 1300cc 2 door with 29,000 Genuine miles - I'm only the second owner from new.

Just wondering how many 1300cc 2 door 131's are left in the UK, i know that sports are rare, but alot of the 2door 1300's have been used to restore/reshell sports, so i was thinking would an original 2door 1300cc possibly be more rare than a sport??

Reason I ask, is that I bought the above car with the intention of building it into a sport as the shell is perfect, 99% rust free. But having cleaned the car and seen how clean it is underneath, and the fact that it's totally original, i think it would be a shame. Especially if its as rare as I think?

So should I stick with my original idea and build it into a sport or leave it original as it is??

Any help or advice is much appreciated
131dave

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:56:16 PM »

its a personal choice,do you have a rotten sport to re shell or are you just gone build a bitsa?.....i would go for it if there is a sport there in need of a shell......but i wouldnt just builed a replica from parts and destroy a nice car in the process,it will never be a sport.

this is purely my personal opinion of course and ultimately you will have to make the decision  Grin

dave, now located in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:33:40 PM »

O I love questions like this...! Wink

I remember seeing the car for sale Chris and can vouch for it's condition, at least from photographs ( I have some if you would like them posted) - A very rare find indeed and I would suggest at this stage that it is much rarer than the Sport/Racing model. Certainly they come up for sale on about a ratio of 1 to 25 if you look at Europe as a whole.

Does that mean that it is more desirable as a result? - Highly unlikely in my view as 4 door CLs are worth buttons in good condition, why would a 2 door be worth any more unless the intention was to make a Sport out of it?

Now does the Connolly family need another 131 Sport in the family??!? Wink Thats the real question..!? Grin

If you had no Sport I would definitely convert as long as you could be sure of doing an authentic job - How many rust free RHD Sports come up for sale..? Wink

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:41:56 PM »

Hello Chris,

I am very sure that the situation in Holland is quite the same as in the UK. I know of maybe 2 2door survivors so that model is exceptional scarce but the horrible truth is also that nobody takes care. Isn't it horrible that even a mint 4 door CL is almost impossible to sell? Yes, you could make the perfect Sport out of it, but I should keep it original as it is so good as you describe. I am also myself not the biggest fan of the Abarthising some people do, but that is everybodies choice.
Do your best and keep it original please, is my personal suggestion!

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 11:02:53 PM »

If it really is that good and original, I would say leave it as it is. Such a rare car deserves to survive, not end up as a sport copy. Please post lots of pictures of it!

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 06:56:58 AM »

I'd have to agree with the majority here too Smiley

Whatever you do with the car it will never be as valuable as a genuine 131 Sport, because even if it looks like one, it won't actually be one.

Like Bellamacchina, I'm definitely against making a car look like something it's not. My opinion - and I know how others disagree with me, but I've often wondered why people turn their Sports into Abarth replicas, or their Stradales into Group 4 replicas. Seems an awful lot of trouble to go to to get something that will only fool the uninformed - which to my mind isn't the point. For what it's worth, I'd rather have a lovely low mileage 1300 2 door than a Sport replica with untraceable history.

If the 1300 is really that good, I'd keep it in it's original form. Who knows, perhaps one day, someone will want a 2 door 1300 and not a 131 Sport
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:58:17 PM by simon131 » Logged

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
chris131

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:23:48 PM »

Thanks for the help/advice guys think you've helped me make my mind up. It will stay original - just as it left the factory.  Grin

Yeah think your ratio might be about right kev, as I never seen another one for sale.

And, No don't think the connolly's have room for anymore sports, so my little 1300 will stay as it is.
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 03:51:05 PM »

Pictures!

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Andy c

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 12:42:20 PM »

Well i agree if you have a 131 whatever model which is in good condition should be left orginal as possible.
HOWEVER moving this subject on a bit why shouldnt you modify or turn your car into a replica if its your passion your dream something you've worked bloody hard for, whats the problem of having something that gives so much pleasure to you and others,i dont see it as trying to fool people just expanding the 131 family to the unknowing .

Also would you put a modified car in the same catagory as a replica Undecided

Andy Cobb
Polegate East Sussex
eugene

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 06:17:12 PM »

Eugene here to say,keep the car original.A genuine car will never loose it's value.

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 07:12:33 AM »

Hi Andy,

I assume you're referring to my comments. As I have said, this is my opinion and you have the right to disagree with me. This is what makes the World go round, but rest assured, I'm not going to fall out with anyone over it either way.

As anyone who knows me will tell you, and as I've told you face to face before, I am a fan of originality, and would probably never convert a car into something that it wasn't - whether it was a Fiat 131 or a Skoda Favorit, but if people want to spend their hard earned on cash on such cars/projects, then that's up to the individual.

One may well have saved a 131, but at what cost?

Do you know the comment that upsets me the most as an owner of a genuine Abarth Stradale? "Is that original?", meaning "Is that a genuine Abarth?" in the case of my red 131. Why do you think people ask that? Possibly because the number of replicas now far out weighs the number of genuine Abarths - but to an owner of a genuine Stradale it somewhat dilutes the car's attraction, don't you think?

Do you not think that Abarth owners (or owners of any other car they have pride in for that matter) have worked 'bloody hard' to get what they have?

"Also would you put a modified car in the same catagory as a replica?". Depends on what you call 'modified'. Chopping the springs to lower the suspension can never be the best engineering solution can it? But dropping in a 'fast road' Guy Croft engine could very well be.

Andy, (and everyone else who owns a replica/modified 131), this is my opinion only and is not meant to stir anything up. I was merely commenting (as requested) on Chris131's 1300 2 door dilema and in the process you have got the wrong end of the stick. Your's, Wayne's Racer and Steve P's cars look great, as I'm sure Mick's will, but I wouldn't buy one - that's all.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:01:57 AM by simon131 » Logged

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
BKFIAT

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 10:31:03 AM »

hello chris, i think you should probably keep your car in  its current condition, as stated earlier,its rare in any case,but in such good condition,this makes the car a rare find indeed , and you will see that it will be a long time before one will come to the light of day(this forum of course) again.................On the other hand, a good conversion to either sport or abarth is a worthy project.From my experience of going to shows or vintage runs,the amount of people that can tell the difference between a cl,TC,sport or special are few and far between, so dont worry too much about changing the car to whatever you like..........good luck mate and keep us posted Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

fiat 131 1600,1300 1300S, 2000sp.? 127 1050,1050sport, 1300GT ,903s, x/19 1300,850sport, 132 1800ES,2X132 2000TC,900T CAMPER, 16V 2.0 Coupe,16v Marea,20v Marea, lada 1500cc estate,MINI 1000,Mahindra 4x4 2.1D& 2cvCo.Roscommon,Ireland.
chris131

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 10:43:03 AM »

Hi simon, I think the reasons why people build replica's is:

1. That genuine abarths are not readily available, and any that are available are too expensive.

And,

2. The abarth kit can now be bought quitel cheaply - around ?600, and used to restore a sport that probably was to far gone to restore back into a sport. I.E trying to find new rear quarter panels, boot lids, bonnets and front wings etc, is not easy and its easier, cheaper and quicker to just buy the fiberglass kit.

3. And its not that we're trying to fool people, but it gives those people that can't afford a genuine abarth, a car that looks like one, for a fraction of the cost.

Well, that's why I'm building one anyway, ?hope to have it finished for the summer. ?Grin

However I still do agree to keeping a good genuine car original, so I'll keep my 2dr 1300 original, and save it from the choper. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong for saying this, but: its the only 2dr 1300 that I've seen in the UK in a long time.
BKFIAT

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 11:06:04 AM »

There  is one in the wild west of Ireland!..................not uk of course....near river shannon...largest river in british isles Cheesy

fiat 131 1600,1300 1300S, 2000sp.? 127 1050,1050sport, 1300GT ,903s, x/19 1300,850sport, 132 1800ES,2X132 2000TC,900T CAMPER, 16V 2.0 Coupe,16v Marea,20v Marea, lada 1500cc estate,MINI 1000,Mahindra 4x4 2.1D& 2cvCo.Roscommon,Ireland.
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 11:18:49 AM »

Hi Chris,

From a cost perspective you may have a point, and I'm all for preserving the model - why else, with the assistance of two other great friends and 131 fans, would I have been instrumental in the setting up this very website and forum? Grin

Modified cars and replicas will always have their place, and I respect that, but personally I'd rather pour my money into restoring a 131 back to 'standard' - or at least, as close as possible.

As I have said above, it is not my intention to offend or upset ANYONE, but like everyone else, I'm entitled to my opinion, however unwittingly contraversial it always appears to be Roll Eyes

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.