Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:31:05 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  131 twin cam timing marks.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 131 twin cam timing marks.  (Read 36945 times)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 08:42:52 PM »

That's OK then as I haven't got a mechanical fuel pump in the block but have an electric pump in the boot (which I had to change recently - see  post at http://131mirafiori.com/smf/index.php?topic=736.0).

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
sid131

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 09:16:38 PM »

Orange??
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 09:27:35 PM »

Once upon a time....  Grin

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
parrish

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 02:24:47 AM »

Theo,
re: 'Orange!
does that make  you an honary memeber of the 'Orange Boys!!!' i do think so.
Your most welcome Grin
Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
sid131

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 06:56:07 AM »

Theo whats the grey colour code? is there many variants? will be painting mine that colour, Sid.
ps thought all the orange cars had the black interior or did you retrim?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 06:57:45 AM by sid131 » Logged
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »

Colour code is 628. There are no variants. In the UK originally only 3 colours were available, Orange, Silver and (Gunmetal) Grey. They all had black interiors (although it looks more brown than black) with the red interior (looks more orange) an option on the Grey cars only.

No I didn't retrim; the trim lasts a lot longer than the bodywork so the car was reshelled! When the car was restored by the previous owner (1995 I think), he used a good shell from an Orange 131 Sport, new front wings, new doors, new bonnet and boot lid and the front scuttle from a white car. It all went together quite well and while the door shuts are painted properly the inside of the boot and the engine compartment were not so there's still a lot of evidence of the orange roots.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 06:20:16 PM »

I think the key word here is 'originally' Theo. The 131 Sport was also available in black coachwork with the red velour interior - and from very early on too, but it wasn't readily advertised and may well have been a 'special order'. The brochures I have from 1979 and 1981 don't show black as an option, and I know they were available because I owned two them!  Grin

NPF 962W 1981 Black

and

JPD 969V 1980 Black

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
sid131

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 07:22:33 PM »

i also remember the black option with both the interiors over her anyway with the 13" alloys standard, thanks for that theo my project Y was silver under the blue but when i am finished with it will be all 628 with the red orange interior retrimmed, any idea where i can get a drivers seat?
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 08:07:02 AM »

I think the key word here is 'originally' Theo.

That's why I stated "originally"  Grin Wink

I thought the black ones were introduced in 1981 but obviously they were available in 1980 if you've owned one. I also think the black 131 Sports came with the red interior as standard and I don't know if black interior was an option on them.  Undecided

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 08:54:55 AM »

For sure the black option was available from early on. I once saw a 1979/T-reg Sport in black when I was looking about years ago, but you are correct Theo, they only came with the red velour interior. People did fit black interiors to them, but these were generally the cars I walked away from Wink

There did seem to be more black cars on the later registrations though and in particular, here in the UK, W to Y-reg cars. But remember, the year of registration doesn't necessarily match the year of manufacture.? Grin

I can't remember the last time I saw a genuine black Sport Undecided

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
speedo 1664

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 05:41:21 PM »

Hi, Here's  a tip for undoing/tightening the  crankshaft nut/bolt (the bolt type may be left hand thread). First time the engine up on the timing marks, remove number 1 plug turn the engine 1/4 clockwise get some 6mm blue rope and put about 1ft down the plug hole in to cylinder leaving the end hanging out. Turn the engine anti- clockwise until the engine stops, put your socket on and undo the nut, simple!! To tighten the nut take out the rope turn the engine 1/4 turn passed tdc anti clock wise put the rope back in the cylinder tighten the nut, take out the rope put the plug back in and away you go. I've used this method on many engines with no problems.
I hope this is of some help.
Terry
sid131

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 06:15:47 PM »

We also had 131 sports with the racing badge when new in Ireland there were a few in Dundalk & i saw a grey sport in the showroom with a racing badge,
cheers theo i now have andys old red interior so do have to retrim just the rear headrests are a bit sun bleached anybody got good or better ones for sale?
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 08:34:23 PM »

Hi, Here's? a tip for undoing/tightening the? crankshaft nut/bolt (the bolt type may be left hand thread). First time the engine up on the timing marks, remove number 1 plug turn the engine 1/4 clockwise get some 6mm blue rope and put about 1ft down the plug hole in to cylinder leaving the end hanging out. Turn the engine anti- clockwise until the engine stops, put your socket on and undo the nut, simple!! To tighten the nut take out the rope turn the engine 1/4 turn passed tdc anti clock wise put the rope back in the cylinder tighten the nut, take out the rope put the plug back in and away you go. I've used this method on many engines with no problems.
I hope this is of some help.
Terry
im going to try this im having a bit off fun with a 1.4 sohc
jason

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
theredx19
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 09:49:50 AM »

Have you tried slipping the belt out from behind the bottom pulley as it was very unusual to have to remove a bottom pulley on an old Fiat to do a timing belt  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
markwilliams131

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »

hey simon their was a genuine black sport at 3ma 07 08  Tongue
over the years i got 4 black sports out of the uk 2 1980 and 2 1981 all 4 had orange seats
with black bumpers in ireland black came with gold bumpers
orange came with black seats black bumpers grey came with orange seats silver bumpers
silver came with black seats black bumpers   alltho i do have a silver irish sport with blue bumpers
never seen another in ireland like it 

131 sport x 4  lancia beta volumex coupe rover sd1 vitesse mini 1275gt
mk2 golf gti  1.9 205 gti   opel omega mv6     alfa 156
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.