Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:49:47 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  131 twin cam timing marks.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 131 twin cam timing marks.  (Read 36946 times)
sid131

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 08:50:39 PM »

Hi Mark there was a 1980 sport up here that originally had the blue bumpers & arches but the owner painted them black, also there was a grey one with black seats & silver trim, mine had black trim & orange seats, there was a black one with black seats & black trim. if i get talking to the owners i will ask them for some pics  all seem to know i now have another sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 06:15:56 PM »

1.4 sohc have a plate behind the crank pulley coving the belt , can anyone scan the  other maual not the haynes the auto somthing one and timeing marks

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
SteveFX

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 02:01:10 AM »

Most of my Fiat TC mech experience was with 124's. I owned a few Coupes (Spiders were for sale: If I go dirty-side-up (not YET!) I want at least trivial tin overhead).

Bobdan's OHV timing mark pic was interesting. I never saw such under the sludge on a DOHC motor.

Early owners/repair manuals showed a "holding fixture" that locked all 3 sprockets together; at least on a 1438cc engine. US 1608, 1592, and 1756 engines (Lancias, too) seemed to use whatever aux sprocket the factory worker had at hand. Timing marks were NOT consistent.

I snow/mud bogged a 1438 coupe (no splash pan) and threw an accesory belt very near my rural home. I decided it was time for a timing belt too. I did not clean all of the mud out. Mud dropped onto a sprocket and jumped timing a tooth(18 degrees?). The aux shaft/fuel pump cam hit the #1 (#2, I forget?) rod cap and made more noise at idle than any engine running on less than 4 cylinders ever could. This mistake damaged the aux shaft oil seal and increased oil leakage. That would be considered a serious problem on any other make.

If not sure/if in doubt; rotate the crank to 40-45 degrees ATDC #1 cyl and rotate the aux shaft to find interference. When you do; turn the aux shaft 90 DEGREES either way.

I think by '78/'79; 1756 engines had a larger belt shroud cast into the front cover. All earlier US engines were no problen to bend the T-belt behind the crank pulley...
SteveFX

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 02:32:12 AM »

Sorry if I missed the edit function.

A US parts-peddler sold alloy cam sprockets for Fiats. A bit over-tightened T-belt wore 1/3 off of tooth height/width on alloy pulleys on a Lotus 907 in a Jensen-Healey in 700 mi. US 1756 Lancias had GRP cam pulleys. What's the wear story on them?
rally037

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2023, 08:22:32 AM »

Hi
I know this thread is old, but a couple of things to add. 

Firstly, you can slip the timing belt on without removing the crank pulley.  There's a way of sliding it in teeth outward and then turning it around the corner at the bottom.  Mine went in very easy (Engine is 131 volumetrico). 

Secondly.... BUT... what I could do with is anyone who has timed the camshafts OTHER than with the standard wheels.  What are the settings?  thanks!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.