Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:10:49 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Electrical problem.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Electrical problem.  (Read 3449 times)
Tas131

« on: April 08, 2008, 09:49:42 AM »

I've got an annoying fault that is becoming more common. Basically, if I'm sitting at an intersection or traffic lights with the indicators on, after a minute or two, or just as I go to drive off, the engine dies. All electrics are gone, no brake lights, indicators, ignition or dash warning lights. The only thing that has power is the LPG fuel gauge, which is fused separately, although it is controlled through the ignition switch. If I turn the ignition off & on a couple of times I'll get the electrics back and I can start it and drive off. I haven't had a look at the wiring diagram yet, but I suspect it's a dodgy relay. Has anyone had similar symptoms, and if so, what was the diagnosis?

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 10:01:11 AM »

I've had the same problem on another Italian car (not the 131). I think it could be one of two things:

1. The ignition switch. It could be that your LPG fuel gauge is wired via the accessories contact of the ignition switch (does the radio still work when everything else dies?). Wire a small light bulb on the main wire out of the ignition switch (brown I seem to remember) so next time everything die, if the little bulb also goes off you'll know it's the ignition switch.

2. Fuse box. There's a thick (also brown I believe) wire feeding power to the fuse box. It's connected via a large spade connector on the engine side of the fuse box and either the connector has tarnished causing bad contact, or (most likely) the solder has melted on the flexible PCB board inside the fuse box causing an intermittent connection.  Problem could also be a bad connection at the fuse box for  the wire feeding power from the ignition switch to the fuse box.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Tristan

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 12:26:28 PM »

and like any older car... always check your earths are ok!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.