Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 09:29:17 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Parts Fabrication.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Parts Fabrication.  (Read 15427 times)
mick131

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 01:34:37 PM »

Hi,

Have finished off the first strut brace, it looks very similar to Theo's in the post above, and is quite light.

If anyone wants one the price is ?35 plus P&P if that sounds reasonable ?. I have made them in such a way that the height of the bar can be adjusted slightly prior to final welding. Please let me know if the air filter on your car sits higher than the lowest edge of the strut top and by how much.

Thanks
Mick.

Mick Wilson
Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire, UK.
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 02:01:14 PM »

can you post a picture of the completed strutbrace? I may be interested. Mine has twin 40's so will height not be an issue?

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
mick131

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 11:09:23 AM »

Hi Dave,

Having problems attaching pics at the mo, I'll try and stick a random one at the end of this post to see if it works.

Are your carbs side or downdraughts ?.

Mick.

* Image008.jpg (97.02 KB, 640x480 - viewed 503 times.)

Mick Wilson
mick131

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 11:31:31 AM »

Apologies for the picture of the battered porker ( she was a cow to load !!!)

The following are pics of the strut brace in early stages, the part that " sticks up" is cut down to match the curve of the tube ( this way an adjustment in height can be made, albeit a couple of inches max ) and is seam welded at all joints.

Apologies for not showing the completed version but I cannot get access to the garage where the car is during the week only at weekends at the moment.

At weekend will attached the final ? version. Please let me know what you think good or bad.

Cheers

* Image003.jpg (87.12 KB, 640x480 - viewed 529 times.)

* Image004.jpg (82.88 KB, 640x480 - viewed 545 times.)

Mick Wilson
mick131

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 11:36:44 AM »

* Image010.jpg (66.85 KB, 640x480 - viewed 529 times.)

* Image011.jpg (71.04 KB, 640x480 - viewed 560 times.)

Mick Wilson
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 02:03:51 PM »

Having problems attaching pics at the mo,

Sorry Mick, we run out of storing space for locally stored photos!  Roll Eyes  (I had the same problem storing photos while I was in Killarney  Cry ). I've now doubled the storage space so it should keep us going for a few more months. After that I'll start deleting some of the older photographs.   Undecided

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
mick131

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »

Cheers Theo,

Is that why some of my pics didn't come through then ?( they where stored on my phone ).

Any thoughts on the brace ?.

Mick.

Mick Wilson
parrish

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2007, 07:35:06 AM »

Hi Mick,
ive got the 5 bolt strut top on my car (see photos).
Dont worry about the carb as the 40's will be going on soon.
Brace looks functional but dimensions would have to be spot on if you are intending no adjustment.
If you can get a pattern for the 5 bolt ill certainly have one from you.
Regards
Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
mick131

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2007, 08:30:54 AM »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the photo's.

The finished one I have should fit your strut tops as they would use the front two bolts and no others. I basically drilled holes in the mounting points for each turrett, pushed them together, welded them then added the bar in situ so there would be no chance of the holes being misaligned.

The five bolt design presents different problems in that I would need to work around the metal "collar" surrounding the rubber bush. I would need to reposition the holes and the angle of the mountings would be different also.

If I could get two of the mountings, like the ones you have, from somwhere then I could easily make one up for you.

In the meantime I'll carry on working on the two point mounting until I can get something sorted. If anyone can let me borrow the aforementioned items then I would let them have a strut brace for a the price of P&P.

Cheers
Mick.

Mick Wilson
martyk
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2007, 10:31:42 PM »

theo did you ever see a double strut in the shape of a diamond we have a pipe bender and breakpress could fabricate some thing very handy
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.