Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:43:48 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  OIL LIGHT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OIL LIGHT  (Read 10316 times)
daverwd

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 09:45:28 AM »

Sorry stand corrected on the valve in filter .. pressure release valve it is.. Not one way valve.. Roll Eyes
daverwd

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 10:06:01 AM »

By the way Tas131 ,didn't know they lenghtened the oil pump drive gears on the later cars .. really good to know as i have a 130 T/C engine to strip & rebuild before fitting into my 131 & she will now defo be getting that longer drive installed.. Wink...
Never realised that drive gave trouble , had always thought i was seriously unlucky to have such an odd problem..
Of course i had to be about 130 miles from home the day it happened to me..Had to leave the car stranded in a farmers yard for a couple of days that time before i got back to collect her...

124AC

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 11:07:28 PM »

As suggested by Dave, check the oil pressure with a guage or a different pressure sender as a minimum.  Flickering can be caused when the diaphragm inside the sender unit fails.
A second-hand oil pump is normally worn.  If you need to remove it to check you will normally find the pump gears to be scored and therefore less able to achieve a steady pressure.
I have seen damage to the drive gear.  I think Guy suggests these are changed on any rebuild.  Nice to hear the later ones are modified.
Lastly, I put 20W50 in a Sport engine with 76K miles.  First cold morning under 5C and it wouldn't even crank over!  I think this would have destroyed a worn drive gear.  Nice new semi-synthetic worked well in all conditions.

Current Fleet:  124AC Coupe. Torque tube model.  Supermirafiori 2000 S3.   Alfa Sprint Cloverleaf 1700.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat
Tas131

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 07:49:46 AM »

Lastly, I put 20W50 in a Sport engine with 76K miles.  First cold morning under 5C and it wouldn't even crank over!

You've got other problems then! Every winter mine starts every morning between 0 & 5 deg, first turn of the key.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
hammerbeirne

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »

Changed the oil and filter to a heavier oil and all seems fine now Smiley
N. Dinis

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:33 PM »

You should install a oil pressure gauge... It may seems ok because the light is not on but doesn't mean that there are no problems....
hammerbeirne

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 05:47:12 PM »

It was on again yesterday when it got hot Turns out all it needed was a new oil light switch all is fine now  Wink
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.