Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 06:11:26 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  All 131 made from black metal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: All 131 made from black metal  (Read 8434 times)
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« on: July 01, 2013, 08:51:21 PM »

found this on an other site :::::

Black metal, is recycled metal. Russia and Australia. provided Fiat/ Lancia, with this metal. Because it was bits of metal squeezed together, eventually, the metal, would expand, and start to rust inside out, reason why, it fell apart like wafers! The word 'black' is commonly used for recycled metal, as it is darker in colour, and impure
Brand new 131's and 124;s, already had rust in their inner and outer wings, when in the showroom!. Amount of cars, that needed a respray, before selling, was quite high. The Fiat dealer, i worked for, had a very busy paint shop!

The metal was squeezed together, then cut in to small pieces, before it was melted down. All the impuritives are left in the metal. Once it is made in to sheet metal etc, the impuritives begin the procedure of wanting to seperate.
As this metal is made from things like steel tins, which are already recycled metal, the metal was very poor indeed. Reason it broke up so quickly. Not just rust.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:18:06 PM »

The thing I don't understand then is how NOS panels turn up after being stored for years and are not rusty Huh

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Tas131

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 09:56:57 PM »

Do some homework on metallurgy before you post such bollocks.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
parrish

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:49:13 AM »

Im with you TAS131 on this one,
I have been a Welding Inspector for 30+ years and ive dealt with my fair share of different materials from different sources.
Scrap metal is still recycled to day it forms a major % of any metals purchased from any sheet/plate/pipe mill, look at how materials are procesed after forming and you might get some answers to why FIAT cars and other! rusted away in the 70/80s.
Ever wondered whay a new NOS panel hasent rusted away, go look at corrosiojn processes and how steel corrodes its a lot to do with the amount of exposed surface versus the total area of surface of material. Paint a foot square panel and make a pin hole in the surace then leave a panel completly bare put them both out in the typical english weather and the small pin hole will have corroded through without the other panel not likely to have even started to corrode.
Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
mirafiori76

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:41:06 AM »

Here's another one:

Yes, the Fiat group used poor quality metal back in the seventies. They imported it cheap from countries such as Tchechoslawakija (is that spelled right? Grin) and Poland.
Indeed the metal wasn't "pure". And sure, a lot of cars were struggeling with rust from inside the material. But that's not the main reason why Fiats/Lancia already rusted in the brochure, as to say.

Why many cars were already in bad shape after the first year, or sooner, had two reasons:

1st; the lack of protection from the inside and the outside. My first car, for example, was a 1979 131 Racing i bought in 1987. It didn't even have a layer of paint on the inside. The very thin layer of primer was visible everywhere and some parts of the body didn't even have a spray whatsoever. I'm sure some of you will have noticed this as well.
Back in those days the Fiat group did cut in expenses.

2nd; look at the construction of the various models... Take our 131 for example: you'd have to be very stupid to design a hole in the floorpanel just behind the front wheels.... Gallons of water would be sprayed up and without anyway to exit it remained inside the floorpanel. Especially there where the two sheets of the floor meet each other. And without protection material inside it was, and still is, only a matter of time...
Same with the construction around the A-pillar. And what about the spring turrets, front and rear?
I'm sure everybody knows about the same problem with the doors. And how about the corners from rear panels, all models?
Altough beautiful disigned on the outside, the cars were just poorly constructed on the inside.

That's the reason why the cars from that era were mainly destroyed. Through the years i have owned and scrapped a lot of 131's and some other Fiats, but they ALL had the same problems.

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
c.a.c131

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 02:38:38 PM »

I agree with you Tas131 too Grin

The Fiat recycled metal is an Urban Legend ! Alfa Romeo had the same rust issues as Fiat and so did the Japanese cars at that time. It was the primers, paint's and that sealer that went rock hard and let the water and damp in. Fiat left bear metal in the cavity's and welded seams and they rusted the second they were made. I have seen a good few 131's that had a full rust treatment cavity wax injection when new and no rot.

1980 Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport/Racing, 1981 Fiat 131 S2 Supermirafiori Panorama 1600/TC.
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 09:51:49 PM »

Gee isn't that a bit harsh Mick when Jason was only posting comments he found on another site? I'm not sure if he agrees or he disagrees with the views he has shared.

In any event I'm not a metallurgist (similar to most of us on here I'd say) but 131s do rust spectacularly and in areas that can't always be described as water traps. I seem to remember someone posting the phrase "surface rust" on here a few years back (It may have been me) which prompted a flurry of comments along the lines that there was no such thing and that rust begins deep within the metal. If a steel part is made up of reused steel isn't it likely to be more susceptible to rusting than the manufacturing process that doesn't use recycled metal? I don't know for certain but it seems a reasonable idea to me.... Smiley

Anyway, thanks Jason... for re-starting the age old debate... Smiley
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:26:34 AM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 06:05:05 PM »

Grin Grin

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
TOAD

Green Eye Motorsport - Home Of The Toad

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 07:37:34 PM »

I always wondered what happened to the chaps from that program from a few years ago,

GRUMPY OLD MEN,

There all on here.   Grin

Video of Big Toad Build up.   www.youtube.co.uk/evotoad
Tas131

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 09:24:07 PM »

There all on here.

They're all on here.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
POQ 131

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 11:52:57 PM »

I am no metalurgist either, just an old panel beater.
The two things blamed for the Fiat rust problem here in Australia were that the metal had a high sulphur content & that they shipped to Australia as deck cargo.
I personaly thought that it was because at some place, some time they were parked down wind of a Chrysler.  Grin Smiley
O.

O.
131Steve

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 12:56:02 PM »

That was metal  Huh  Cheesy

* 131 r.jpg (137.71 KB, 800x600 - viewed 959 times.)

Silver 131 Racing 1980 (previously two 131 S2 1600TC Supers, three 131 Sports, one 131 S3 Super 2000TC)
david

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »

The shame is cars don't rust like that any more but who cares about modern cars as they are so dull.
I remember an old fiat main dealer in surrey telling me they had loads of 128's that were left in fields for two years or so and they had to resray them before they sold them new as they were all rooten where they had sat in that field !
ZFA16V

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 12:04:03 AM »

That was metal  Huh  Cheesy

Turn the key...i bet it still starts Cheesy
Or give it a coat of clear & use it as a rat rod look.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.