Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 12:38:47 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Creaking & Clonking
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Creaking & Clonking  (Read 12359 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: September 26, 2010, 07:56:52 PM »

Just back from a 400km round trip on GKMR10 and a few new noises have developed in my Supermirafiori. I was wondering if I described some of the symptons ...could some of the suspension experts help me diagnose the problem...?

First one is a very slight drone from the front wheel area - It is road speed and not engine speed dependant - It only appears when steering angle is applied & then disappears on the straight ahead - Worn wheel bearing?

Second issue is creaking from the front section of the car when driving over a bumpy surface (edited). Both on the initial impact and the subsequent rebound. This developed into a knocking/clonking sound towards the end of the trip.

This has been accompanied by a strange feeling in the steering. It's fine in the straight ahead position but when emerging from roundabouts and with the car pointing in the desired direction, usually releasing my grip on the steering wheel slightly, allows the wheels to naturally straighten and the steering wheel to centre. There is now a slight delay in this happening.

I've not hit anything with the front wheels that I'm aware of, all the wheel nuts are tight, there is nothing obviously broken underneath and the car has new front shocks.

Any ideas...? Smiley
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:22:28 AM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 08:21:12 PM »

The noise does sound like it could be a wheel bearing. The knocking and associated steering issue could perhaps be a top mount. if the struts have recently been replaced perhaps something is loose or incorrectly fitted?

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 08:25:32 PM »

Ball joints. Telltale sounds - at least for Mercedes cars, so I think the same with Fiat. Replace track control arms and everything's fine again. (btw, I have two brand new arms for sale...)

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
curt

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 09:13:55 PM »

Second issue is creaking from the front section of the car when driving over a bumpy service. Both on the initial impact and the subsequent rebound. This developed into a knocking/clonking sound towards the end of the trip.

Choose a new garage if your receiving a 'bumpy service'  Grin Grin

However -if it is a bumpy surface then that is different  Grin

It does sound like the bushes in the TCAs are giving up.The new front shocks (being more rigid in their attitude ) has highlighted the weakness in the main anti roll bar bushes in the TCAs -Thats where Id go first -a ball joint normally gives you tracking problems and tyre wear will soon show and steering 'wallow' is evident -the fact it returns to normal attitude soon after says its anti roll bar bushes.  good luck  Grin Grin
Curt

Solihull West Midlands
Still keeps hoping for another sport !
Kennedy of Sixmilebridge

all-italia.net

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 12:08:35 PM »

I agree with Robert. For my money it a ball joint Kevin as a first choice. What Curt and Miarifioriman says is very very good advice too.
It's definitely time for a careful check of the whole front end, and watch out for looseness in the rear axle mountings too, as that might be a factor in the steering issues.

all-italia.net
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys - Luckily I have a pair of OE TCAs (excuse my mechanical ignorance but is this another name for ball joint?). I could still be interested in buying your pair as a back up though Robert.  Are you coming to 3MA11?

What about roll bar bushings? Could they be at fault too? I know that a lot of lads have bought bushings from Yagmur so maybe a full set of those could help too...Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 01:39:58 PM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
Kennedy of Sixmilebridge

all-italia.net

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 12:52:27 PM »

What about roll bar bushings? Could they be at fault too?

Throwing parts at the car hoping you've replaced the problem part is one way to go.......but I'd recommend getting a professional diagnosis of the car aliments and replacing parts deemed to be proven to be past their best. It will be ultimately be cheaper, safer, and will get to the exact source of the problem(s).

all-italia.net
parrish

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 12:55:23 PM »

Hi Kev,
if your changing the Track control arms you will almost certainly be changing the Anti roll bar to TCA rubbers as well.
I bought a set from Yagmur and could not believe how much difference they made.
Definetly a good buy.
You will need to push the centre out of the bars you have but dont worry it comes out easy and Yagmurs are a perfect fit.
As for anti roll bar locating rubbers i replaced these on my car with some from Power flex.
Dont forget the TCA to chassis mount as well.
Ofcourse you will have to have the steering tracked when your done.
Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 01:44:02 PM »

I think I'd be happier replacing as much as is reasonable under the circumstances Graham. I do use the car a lot and place a lot of trust in it ..so I'd like to have it performing at its best and safest at all times.

Sorry - ball joints = track control arms?

Steve - Would you mind itemising the replacement bushings that you are suggesting in their entirety please? I know the TCAs come with rubber bushings already so am a bit puzzled here. I'm happy to replace every bushing that could be affecting/causing this issue including those at the rear ..if fitted. Cheers... Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »

Kev, the ball joints are part of the track control arm, the outer part so to say. The bushings in the TCA go into the front axle body; they can be replaced, but normally you change the complete TCA and that's that.

As for TMA11, I'm all set to go, providing the Ineptitude is ready by then for a longer journey. If you are interested in the TCAs, however, I might as well send them to you, shipping is around 14 Euros?

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
parrish

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 04:16:07 PM »

Kevin,
follow the link here, manufacturer 'Fiat' and then click on your model, you get a lsit of all their products for that car.

http://www.superflex.co.uk/

As for the Anti roll bar to TCA, contact Yagmur he has the better ones.
Steve
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 04:18:35 PM by parrish » Logged

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 12:59:55 AM »

What about roll bar bushings? Could they be at fault too?

Throwing parts at the car hoping you've replaced the problem part is one way to go.......but I'd recommend getting a professional diagnosis of the car aliments and replacing parts deemed to be proven to be past their best. It will be ultimately be cheaper, safer, and will get to the exact source of the problem(s).

That's very sound advice Kevin, don't just ignore it and change things for the sake of it. Aftermarket replacement parts, even Fiat "original" parts, are usually not as good as the true originals fitted at the factory so unless there's a faulty or worn original part you are much better off keeping the original rather than replacing it with a new part just for the sake of it.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
mirafiori76

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 07:16:07 AM »

Kevin,

I don't think it's got anything to do with the TCA's or anti roll bar. It's just the top bearing. When this is broken it will make noise and prevents the steering wheel from coming in the straight ahead position again.
I could be wrong of course, but I think it's just that part. On the other hand, refitting some rubber parts could do no harm after so many years of use.

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 06:31:33 PM »

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions guys - I'd like to have all the necessary parts before getting the job done and I like the idea of some preventative maintenance at the same time especially with products that come recommended such as Yagmur's parts.

Mike - Can you explain what a top bearing is please?

I've crawled around the car tonight and taken the following pics in the hope that whatever is causing the problem might be obvious to the seasoned mechanics out there.

Anti-roll bar bushings...

TCAs

Ball joints..

Rear bushings..

Is this all of them and can anyone spot any worn parts..? Thanks... Maybe I should take pictures from a different angle..? Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
Kennedy of Sixmilebridge

all-italia.net

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 06:39:25 PM »

Top bearing can be parts numbered 2, 3 and 4 rolled up into one piece, or if seperate (depends on manufacturer), just item 3.

Photos will tell us nothing about the steering rack internals condition either Kevin.....
It's now time for a trip to a trusted garage before the next long journey.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:42:01 PM by Kennedy of Sixmilebridge » Logged

all-italia.net
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.