Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 10:16:04 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  131 color?!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 131 color?!  (Read 6011 times)
covjek

FIAT 131 SUPERMIRAFIORI 2.5 D

« on: October 19, 2007, 07:57:14 AM »

I was wondering if 131`s ever came in black originally and if it did,what market was it for?From what i`m seeing in various FIAT manuals and articles(mostly German) the colors are,to say the least funny.

Vedran Svircic
Zapresic,Croatia
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 08:19:42 AM »

Certainly as far as I know the only 'standard' 131 available in black from the factory was the Sport/Racing - and that was generally a 'special order'.

I have seen a few non-Sport 131s that were painted black after they left the factory either by their current owner (an example being a polish registered 131 S that was recently available on ebay.co.uk) or as part of a 're-modelling' exercise (such as the stretched 'limosine' that I have often seen on the web).

No doubt someone will shoot my theory down in flames, but this is what I currently think to be true.

The standard colours for 131s, especially series 1 and 2 cars, are very '70's'. Oranges and salmon pinks were all the rage! Cool The later series 3 cars were much more subdued.

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 09:18:33 AM »

As I am sure you know, black is a difficult colour for cars because it shows up any irregularities in the panels. A lot of manufacturers used to specially select cars from their production lines to paint black. I am sure modern production methods nowadays have negated the need to specially select cars for painting black but it was certainly the case back in the 70's and early 80's. The 131 Sport/Racing had slightly different profile front wings to the other 131s so obviously different presses were used for the front wings. It could be that different presses were used for some of the other panels as well which is why only the Sport/Racing was available in black; lower production volumes meant the presses stayed good for longer? Or maybe they were also specially selected off the production line for special-order black paint.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
covjek

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 01:20:17 PM »

I`m more interested in series 3 saloon.I`ve had it in red before the rebuild and i want to put it in black this time(with Mk3 grey side trims and grey velour inside).It`s just i don`t want to do it if the color code is not factory original.I`m very sensitive to these things since i want "factory spec" quality,no more and sure as hell no less. Cool On the other hand i could go with salmon pink Roll Eyes

Vedran Svircic
Zapresic,Croatia
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 02:23:30 PM »

As far as I know, black was not available for any Series 3 cars. It certainly wasn't available in the UK.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
covjek

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 06:28:48 PM »

Dang!I was really hoping for a black metallic Undecided.The thing is,factory color schemes are too light and it kills the crome trim.That`s a thinker Huh.What do you think,should i turn a blind eye on the factory specs and go with say Nero 981F (metallic black) or stick with the stock color?

Vedran Svircic
Zapresic,Croatia
hicky131

The future's bright - The future's orange

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 07:28:33 PM »

You could allways paint it a proper colour! Wink Grin Cheesy

<<<<<<<<<<

Wayne Hickman,
Huddersfield,West Yorkshire, UK
covjek

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 07:37:52 PM »

As far as the Sport/Racing goes i`m more of a Gun metal gray guy,but my second favorite is orange,really Grin.But speaking of Mk 3 Diesel...somehow i don`t think the bump on the hood would look good in orange Grin.

Vedran Svircic
Zapresic,Croatia
hicky131

The future's bright - The future's orange

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 07:46:33 PM »

Your quite right. The series 3 cars look less "agressive"shall we say than the sport model and as such should have a less agressive colour.

I quite like this colour:-

Wayne Hickman,
Huddersfield,West Yorkshire, UK
parrish

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 02:51:09 AM »

Orange definetly makes the car stand out!
Lovely colour Smiley

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.