Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:14:10 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  motor removal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: motor removal  (Read 5663 times)
tex

« on: May 17, 2009, 03:30:21 AM »

I cant seem to get at and undo the top two bolts that connect the motor to the bell housing and gearbox. Do you have to take the motor and gearbox out together or am i missing something obvious here...if i could move the motor forward i could undo them but i might as well take it out at the same time???
parrish

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 05:16:42 AM »

I use a thin Spanner and patients Wink

It may also be possible to undo the bolts on one or more of the Engine mount/support brackets slide them to one side and lower the engine a touch to gain more access.

Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
Tas131

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 06:10:18 AM »

You can don your butchers apron and cut holes in the firewall with a holesaw, plugging them with rubber grommets when you're done.
Or the way I've always done them is disconnect exhaust from engine, remove tailshaft, undo rear gearbox mount and lower gearbox. With a piece of wood on a trolley jack I lift the front of the motor, tilting the engine further back, until the camboxes are against the firewall. Then with socket, unijoint, ratchet and long extension the bolts can be reaches from the rear of the gearbox, over the top of the bellhousing. In the workshop I used to work in, we had a 1 meter extension specifically for the top gearbox bolts and Lancia Beta starter motor bolts. These days I put 3 shorter extensions together.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
david

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 06:35:10 AM »

You need to remove the gearshift ext (4 bolts) and get the socket and selection of 3/8 bars and a cut up to 1/2 inch at the transmission tunnel end and fit 1/2 ratchet, this does work but you may need someone to put socket end on for you while you sit in the car and make sure you use good quality 3/8 socket and ext bars or they will break, once you have loosenened the bolts you can use 3/8 rachet as not a lot of room this method has always worked ? ? ? P.S. ? if you have a 3/8 ext with a bolt end you will be able to go straight on with 1/2 inch rachet and socket and leave out the cut up which is the weakest point.
parrish

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 09:06:15 AM »

Oh come on guy's!
Fiat never started cutting away bulkheads or holes into floors etc, just a thin spanner and patients works.
I forgot to add that its better to take these bolts out first leaving all others nicely nipped up.
Steve
PS: also normally cost you a bit of skin here and their Grin

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
Walezy

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 10:04:43 AM »

I have never used all 4 bolts in my rally car. I just used 3 of them. 2 lower ones and one upper on the exhaust side(2.0l 8v dohc). It never failed and was much quicker to take the engine out. to undo the bolts use a ratchet with flex joint and couple of extensions- the same is for starter motor

alan.acs

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 11:32:11 AM »

You just need a 3/8 socket 2 x long extension bars and a wobbly joint  and get under neath
and slacken them off or use a thin spanner as mentioned above .

curt

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 05:08:01 PM »

Guys -There is a special fiat tool for removing the bell housng bolts-I used to use it all the time in the garage  Shocked Shocked
As Tas 131 said - the workshop way to remove the bell housing bolts is too undo and remove  the gearbox mountings-jack the engine backwards off the crankshaft pulley with a trolley jack and block -and use the special tool -which was just a 1metre long bar with a UJ on the end and 19mm socket-a Sliding T bar about 400mm long and hey presto  Grin Grin
It still was fiddeley -but that was the official procedure  Grin

Solihull West Midlands
Still keeps hoping for another sport !
tex

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 08:11:34 AM »

thanks guys...i will try one or all of the above!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.