Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 08:58:00 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Info Thermostat in Head ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Info Thermostat in Head ?  (Read 6250 times)
c.a.c131

« on: February 09, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »

Hi Smiley I am looking on any info regards running the thermostat in the head of a 131 2.0 twincam, I am thinking about doing this to my Panorama engine that I am getting rebuilt  Smiley any info as to what I have to do re plumbing & where to get the thermostat etc would be greatly appreciated Smiley

1980 Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport/Racing, 1981 Fiat 131 S2 Supermirafiori Panorama 1600/TC.
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »

Have a search on the Guy Croft site as this subject is discussed there at length. My engine has the thermostat in the head. I believe the housing in the head needs to be enlarged slightly to take the thermostat. You must make sure your thermostat has a small hole in it to avoid air locks. The thermostat in my car is from a Ford Fiesta. According to people on Guy's website the best thermostat to use is a Unipart item. I can't remember the part number  Undecided. As far as plumbing goes, the radiator bottom hose connects directly into the water pump and the T-piece at the top, fed from the head, needs to have one end blocked so it simply connects to the radiator top hose. Ideally, instead of blocking off one end of the T-piece, it's better to have a curved connector from the head to the radiator as water flows better round curves than right angles. My engine has a custom made curved copper connector at the head connecting it to the radiator top hose.   

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
c.a.c131

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »

Have a search on the Guy Croft site as this subject is discussed there at length. My engine has the thermostat in the head. I believe the housing in the head needs to be enlarged slightly to take the thermostat. You must make sure your thermostat has a small hole in it to avoid air locks. The thermostat in my car is from a Ford Fiesta. According to people on Guy's website the best thermostat to use is a Unipart item. I can't remember the part number  Undecided. As far as plumbing goes, the radiator bottom hose connects directly into the water pump and the T-piece at the top, fed from the head, needs to have one end blocked so it simply connects to the radiator top hose. Ideally, instead of blocking off one end of the T-piece, it's better to have a curved connector from the head to the radiator as water flows better round curves than right angles. My engine has a custom made curved copper connector at the head connecting it to the radiator top hose.   

Thanks for the info Smiley

1980 Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport/Racing, 1981 Fiat 131 S2 Supermirafiori Panorama 1600/TC.
Tas131

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »

Why bother going to the trouble. Fiat obviously thought moving the thermostat out of the head was a good idea. The engine has continuous full flow through head/block with an external thermostat, unlike the no flow or restricted flow through an in head thermostat.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
c.a.c131

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 10:48:12 PM »

Why bother going to the trouble. Fiat obviously thought moving the thermostat out of the head was a good idea. The engine has continuous full flow through head/block with an external thermostat, unlike the no flow or restricted flow through an in head thermostat.

The 131 it's for will be the way I want it to be and not the way Fiat  intended it to be Grin

c.a.c131

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 10:49:19 PM »

I cant find anything on the Guy Croft site about this Sad Huh

mirafiori76

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 10:57:29 PM »

Some time ago we had this dispute. I think there is something to say for both options. But Fiat invented one of the greatest engines. It has the thermostat next to the engine. And yes, for a reason. Even the race engines had their thermostat in the same place. There must be a reason.

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
cypriot

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:26:11 PM »

I cant find anything on the Guy Croft site about this Sad Huh

http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1832

Here is the link which there is discussion about thermostat location

Fiat 131 2.0 Racing LHD 1981 (Ex Rally car)
WR Ltd Edition

Mods:
Gr.4 Tarmac BodyKit
124 Abarth cyl head
High Comp. Pistons
4-1 Header
H?rmann Intake Manifold
Weber 40 IDF Carbs
GC Spec FW
c.a.c131

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 08:39:50 PM »

Thanks Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.