Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 06:25:37 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Please advise me.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please advise me.  (Read 7296 times)
keiran

« on: October 11, 2011, 02:54:55 PM »

I have bought this genuine UK 1980 Fiat 131 sport in orange and it has been barn stored for the last 21 years and is very good conditon and is a one owner from new and has only done 32,000 miles everything is original including fiat face off radio.
I am looking to spend approx 2500 to fully refurb and will stand me at 5000.

My question is what will it be worth when fully restored?
I have to view this a investment because I cant afford to do this up for myself to keep and drive.
Please give me your thoughts on what it will be worth.
Thanks Keiran
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »

This one seems to be in a fair condition and will not go for the asked price:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/280748867341?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

more mileage, more owners, that's for sure. But keep in mind a 131 will always be only a Fiat, and this fact limits the price.

Any 5-digit price will be a miracle, except for cars bearing the magic "A****" badge. That's my opinion.

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 05:50:17 PM »

I think that ?5000 for a lovely RHD example is cheap in the current climate. For the very best I would say ?10,000 might possibly achieved on a good day. For this though the car would have to be the very best available.

It is always a gamble using a car for an investment though. Restoration costs really can mount and there is of course no guarantee the car will sell for the price that you want it to.

There is a good choice of LHD cars available on the continent but good RHD cars rarely come up for sale.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
jack1

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:54:53 PM »

anywhere between 7.5 to 10grand depending how good it is  ,,,is it still in the uk   

1996  850r (sleeper)
keiran

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 08:11:33 AM »

anywhere between 7.5 to 10grand depending how good it is  ,,,is it still in the uk   

Yes Jack, it is still in england.
It is in very good condtion at min not not much welding to do underneath and all inner archs are like new.
It needs 2 new front wings and full respray.
Can anyone advise on starting a engine that has been stood for over 20 years?
Is it pretty straight forward or do you need to strip it down and start from scratch?
Thanks Keiran
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »

I would take the plugs out and add a little oil to each cylinder. Then leave it for a day or two before trying to turn it over by hand to ensure it is not seized.

The cambelt will need changed. You could do this before starting it which is safer. It depends how much money you want to spend before finding out the cars true condition.

The fuel will need to be new and after checking the oil level is OK I would spin it on the starter several times with the ignition disconnected to generate some oil pressure before you try to start it.

After you get it started and running (perhaps only for a minute or two) I would change the oil and filter. You could do this before you try and start it if you wish.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:29:34 AM by mirafioriman » Logged

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:02:26 PM »

Keiran,

Please take care with what you are doing when you wanna build the car up and do a profit. I am afraid it will cost a lot more money to have it in fully useable top condition. When you have to change wings most probably you find more hidden. Only a good respray already costs quite money, for sure the headlining needs work Wink and technically at least there is something to do. A good original Sport makes money nowadays if you find the right buyer but how close you come with the total costs Huh Huh
But please look with an enthusiast eye and do it for yourself, or leave it to a real fan and keep us informed!!

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
glenn131

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 02:03:52 PM »

Keiran,

Thats a brave move, restoring a 131 for profit!

Beautiful as they are, 131's can suffer from the rust monster, and if you are already into wings etc, you can guarantee there will be more rust behind.

Just hope your ?2500 doesnt get swallowed up to quickly, you could do more than half that on a decent paint job, but if it isnt decent done properly, its value will really suffer.

It has probably been said before, but 131 Sports are a labour of love, all the best ones i've seen are done for love! Dont want to count what mine will owe me when its finished!!

131 Mirafiori Sport
parrish

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 06:05:13 AM »

Hi Keiran,
I've got to agree with Albert on this one, either do it for yourself or sell it as it is to an enthusiast who will do the work for him/her self.
Problem you have is that as Albert says their are so many hidden areas likely to have succumbed to the dreaded rust, areas that you will only find when you start looking around carefully or reveal when you remove this and that, if you are doing it for profit you will be tempted to cut corners here and their, I have experience my self of what was a good car with current MOT, turned out to need all the work as shown in the attached link (see orange car photos page 7 other orange car photos are of progress and how she is today).
If the car is as good as you have described I'm sure you will make a little on your current investment without having done anything, why not try the water as they say, post a few photos and a description and see what happens.

http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq71/parrish_028/

Steve
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:09:38 AM by parrish » Logged

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
Rob 131

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 06:25:51 AM »

Kieran

?7.5 to ?10k sounds like sensible money to me for a completed RHD 131 Sport if it is finished to a high standard  Grin I would suggest that buyers of these cars at this level will be fairly critical and exacting in their requirements  Wink.

It would also help if it was Orange  Grin Grin Kiss

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

Formally Owned an Orange 1979 131 Mirafiori Sport in 90/91

UK
keiran

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »

Thanks a lot for all the replys and I completley understand what everbody is saying.
But I have come to the conclusion that the more I do on this car the more I am liking this car so I am going to spend whatever it takes to make this car stunning.
I have striped a lot out of the car already and have found lots more rust that needs cutting and plating but nothing to serious.
Next is to take all the glass out and rest of interior and roof lining and get all the bodywork done and full re-spray.
I have someone that wants to use it for there wedding in june so better get a move on.
I have had petrol tank out and cleaned today, droped the oil out and new filter got the engine turned over and oil pressure up in the engine, put the ht leads back on and she struck up first time and run great. (bloody gob smacked)
First time running for 21 years now that put a big smile on my face.
Think I am going to do this car for myself and sell my beloved golf mk2 gti
keiran

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 11:43:55 AM »

Forgot to say engine and gearbox to take out to respray the whole engine bay.
I will try and get some photos on as soon as I can.
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 11:54:58 AM »

Think I am going to do this car for myself and sell my beloved golf mk2 gti

I'll second that suggestion  Wink Cheesy Grin

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 12:53:12 PM »

If it was a Mk1 Golf..... the Mk 2 is not as nice in my opinion, I would def keep the 131!

Don't forget to change the cambelt if you are planning to run the engine again Wink

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of the car.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.