Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 01:15:50 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  OIL LIGHT
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: OIL LIGHT  (Read 10357 times)
hammerbeirne

« on: November 24, 2012, 05:23:13 PM »

Just wonderin why does the oil light flicker in my 131 when the car is hot and ticking over?the engine it self has just 44 thousand on it so it is fine would it be a faulty oil pump as i had to change one when the sump got bashed at one stageand it was second hand
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »

Oil level ok? Correct oil grade? Perhaps a faulty sender unit? Verify the pressure is low with an accurate gauge before thinking major issues like engine internals.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 07:45:54 PM »

If the oil pump was working fine when fitted then it's unlikely to have worn since then; oil pump is the best oiled part of an engine  Wink

I'd second all that Dave has said above and will add that you shouldn't necessarily believe the dipstick when measuring oil level. I had a similar problem with my Silver Sport years ago and it turned out to be a faulty dipstick!  Shocked The rubber stop can work loose allowing the dipstick to move lower into the sump and giving higher readings. If in doubt, drain the oil and refill with fresh good quality oil and measuring the amount you're putting into the engine.

Also ensure you have the correct oil filter for your engine i.e. one specified for the engine and not just "one that fits"; oil filters are not all the same.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
hammerbeirne

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »

Oil level ok? Correct oil grade? Perhaps a faulty sender unit? Verify the pressure is low with an accurate gauge before thinking major issues like engine internals.
May be the oil grade I have semi synthetic in it What is the correct oil grade?
hammerbeirne

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »

If the oil pump was working fine when fitted then it's unlikely to have worn since then; oil pump is the best oiled part of an engine  Wink

I'd second all that Dave has said above and will add that you shouldn't necessarily believe the dipstick when measuring oil level. I had a similar problem with my Silver Sport years ago and it turned out to be a faulty dipstick!  Shocked The rubber stop can work loose allowing the dipstick to move lower into the sump and giving higher readings. If in doubt, drain the oil and refill with fresh good quality oil and measuring the amount you're putting into the engine.

Also ensure you have the correct oil filter for your engine i.e. one specified for the engine and not just "one that fits"; oil filters are not all the same.
What would the correct oil filter be andwhat amount of oil is specifi3ed for the engine thanks
daverwd

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 08:58:42 PM »

Oil for engine goin by the book is 15W / 40 ..Amount= 4.1 litres including the filter..  type of filter not sure of that but i would have thought as long as it has the non return valve inside the filter  will remain full at all times & thats what matters ..

Had an oil light flicker on me once turned out to be the drive cog on the top of the oil pump had worn some of the teeth off the cog.. this is the same toothed cog shared by the distributor drive  in the block..this is unusual but was my experence of a flickering oil light
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »

Enda - This the oil filter I use.

I sourced it from a Fiat dealer in Limerick who has since closed. I think they got them from Fiat UK. Maybe your "local" Fiat dealer might be as helpful.  Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
daverwd

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 10:09:28 PM »

Thats the spring loaded non return valve u can see inside the filter kevin ..
 any motor factors should easily be able to supply a matching filter ( there isn't really anything special about a standard 131 oil filter).. i know your a stickler for the genuine parts kevin .. amazed you didn't insist on it being one of the early blue '' olio'' filters ..  Grin
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »

Thats the spring loaded non return valve u can see inside the filter kevin ..
 any motor factors should easily be able to supply a matching filter ( there isn't really anything special about a standard 131 oil filter).. i know your a stickler for the genuine parts kevin .. amazed you didn't insist on it being one of the early blue '' olio'' filters ..  Grin

Gee I don't know if I'm a stickler Dave but having bought spurious rear brake cyclinders to discover they were missing the screw on thread....just as they were about to be fitted to a car that needed them...convinced me that OE is best wherever possible.  Smiley

My 131s get a punishing work out once or twice a year and the last thing you want 100s of Kms from home is an avoidable failure.... Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 10:26:40 PM »

That must be the right oil filter Kev  Wink
I normally use Champion C102 filters as they are easily available from Halfords. It's quite a common filter for the 131 as it fits many Fiats, Alfas, Lancias and even Fords, Toyotas and Volvos! So any good motor factors should be able to provide an oil filter for a Fiat 131 Twin Cam.

The valve that can be seen in Kev's photo at the bottom of the filter is a pressure release valve that will allow oil to flow even if the filter gets blocked. The Fiat 131 engine does not need a filter with an anti-drain valve as the filter sits "the right way up" which is with all its holes at the top. So oil will not drain out of the filter when the engine is turned off. Some cars (e.g. Gamma, Porche 911, most V12 Ferraris, some Jags etc) have the filter upside down so the oil can drain out of the filter when the engine is turned off. For some of those cars (e.g. Gamma and 911) that take about half an hour to pump the oil round their wide engines, it's important to keep the oil in the filter when the engine is turned off and so their filters have an anti-drain valve. Such valves are fitted at the top of the filter (obviously as they are meant to keep the oil inside the upside down filter) and would look something like this:

A filter fitted to the Fiat 131 should not have such a valve and you should be able to see all the way to the bottom of the filter and the pressure relief valve:

It's also important not to use a filter meant for a modern engine as they are likely to have a dense foam filter material (instead of paper) intended for clean modern engines, thin oil and long service intervals.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Tas131

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »

Had an oil light flicker on me once turned out to be the drive cog on the top of the oil pump had worn some of the teeth off the cog.. this is the same toothed cog shared by the distributor drive  in the block..this is unusual but was my experience of a flickering oil light

Not so unusual, I had it happen to me about 4 months ago, fortunately I had another drive gear in a spare block in the shed. I worked in a Fiat workshop many years ago, we replaced the oil pump drive gears quite often, unfortunately for some owners it also required replacing bigend bearings as well. It was enough of an issue for Fiat that later oil pump drive gears were longer, allowing more contact area on the drive spline.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »

Had an oil light flicker on me once turned out to be the drive cog on the top of the oil pump had worn some of the teeth off the cog.. this is the same toothed cog shared by the distributor drive  in the block..this is unusual but was my experience of a flickering oil light

Not so unusual, I had it happen to me about 4 months ago,

Yes I agree, not so unusual. It happened to me twice but when it happens it's total loss of oil pressure and not just a flickering light at idling; in my experience at least  Embarrassed  First time was in my 124 while on the elevated section of the M4 and that killed the engine; the big end shells got fused to the crank and needed a hammer and chisel to remove  Undecided. Second time was in my silver Sport but the engine survived. I had some oil additive which was meant to allow the engine to run without oil for a long time. While I didn't necessarily believe the claims I think the additive must have worked as the engine was fine even though my wife was driving around for most of the day with "the red Aladdin's lamp" (as she called it) on  Shocked  Since then I always change the oil pump drive on a Fiat when I buy it.  

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Tas131

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 01:28:44 AM »

In this case I'll say oil viscosity or pressure switch. Try a heavier mineral oil, I've always run 20w50 in mine, if problem persists, throw a pressure switch at it.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
hammerbeirne

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 02:31:48 AM »

Thanks for all the advice lads much appreciated Smiley
Tas131

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 02:39:01 AM »

the engine was fine even though my wife was driving around for most of the day with "the red Aladdin's lamp" (as she called it) on  Shocked

We had a regata towed in to the workshop one time, the woman driver was coming back from the coast, the "press" light came on, she pressed it, it didn't do anything, so she kept driving, not for much further though.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.