Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:23:54 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  H1 & H4 watts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: H1 & H4 watts  (Read 4081 times)
parrish

« on: March 30, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »

Next Question, which may answer my burning replay problem! as I have 55W inner and outer

My manual states:
H4 outer 40/45W
H1 inner 45W
Does everyone agree?

alternative:
Up-rate the relay which is currently 20W to 30W would that do it?

Regards
Steve

Post Script:
Just noticed the 2ltr cars have H4 40W & H1 55W
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 04:05:11 PM by parrish » Logged

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 04:31:02 PM »

No, 55W seems right. 40/45W is too low, that was with tungsten filament bulbs with the round base (can't remember what they were called).

Relay will be 20A not 20W. A 20A relay is good for 250W and should only drive the high-beam so should be fine. If the contact is getting hot and burnt, you are drawing too much current. Check to make sure the low beam filaments go off when you put on high beam. If the low beam stays on with high beam, you'll have over 300W so drawing about 27amps. If yo change the relay to 30Amps you are likely to burn the wires or the contacts in the connections.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
parrish

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 04:57:34 PM »

No, 55W seems right. 40/45W is too low, that was with tungsten filament bulbs with the round base (can't remember what they were called).

Relay will be 20A not 20W. A 20A relay is good for 250W and should only drive the high-beam so should be fine. If the contact is getting hot and burnt, you are drawing too much current. Check to make sure the low beam filaments go off when you put on high beam. If the low beam stays on with high beam, you'll have over 300W so drawing about 27amps. If yo change the relay to 30Amps you are likely to burn the wires or the contacts in the connections.

Thanks Theo,
Yes 20A.
I have currently fitted outer twin filament Dip/Full 45/55W beam (with that round base, H4 im sure) and inner single contact 55W so on full beam I have 4 x 55W.
I hear what you say about the Dip staying on when the full beam is on, ill have a check later.
As my car is a 1600 Haynes manual definitely shows 40/45W outer with 45W inners.
The relay cuts in and out only on full beam, hope that is correct.
Steve

parrish

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 09:56:29 AM »

So this morning I visited an auto electrician to discuss my problem and he has answered a couple of questions.

H4 45/55W are UK spec
H1 55W UK spec

H4 40/45W (tungsten) Old European
H3 45W Old European

He fully agrees with you Theo, the Relay problem should not be caused by 45 or 55W currents so something else going on.
Im wondering now if the burnt relay pin is an old problem considering the previous owner had 4 x Cibies wired in as well!!

So I bought a new relay and ill try that.

parrish

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 03:57:00 PM »

New relay working fine, lights working fine seems it might have been the Old original  Relay all along.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.