Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:09:37 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Bitch to start some times
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bitch to start some times  (Read 33486 times)
106usj

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 08:58:48 PM »

Not sure about the coil.
 Im still learning as my mechanical knowledge is not great jst average but ill look into it further.
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 09:56:44 PM »

Please post photos of the coil, ignition unit and distributor and it may just make some sense to some of us.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 11:24:10 PM »

Please post photos of the coil, ignition unit and distributor and it may just make some sense to some of us.

THIS IS THE KEY !!!  

Series of pictures will clarify a lot of basic issues. Make sure you cover coil, distributor, ignition unit, plugs , if possible.  

If you are not very experienced ( but even if you are) be VERY systematic during the diagnosis of the problem.

If we start with electricity as main suspect, we must exhaust investigating ALL of all potential electrical sources of the malfunction before moving to potential fuel and mechanical related sources of the problem.

It maybe painstaking but : you will learn a lot during this process and once the problem is solved you will be sure all elements are correct and set right.

You say you followed my suggestion , but this is unclear if you i.e. :

1/ replaced the condenser ,
2/ verified integrity of the wires leading to the points,
3/ inspected/replaced the points
4/ checked points gap,  ,
5/ made sure the rotor and distributor caps are not cracked / broken ,
6/ cleaned the contact points on the rotor and under the distributor cap,
7/ checked for quality of the spark delivered by the coil (replaced the coil in doubt )
8/ checked timing (on a points system this can be done statically with a  piece of wire and a small bulb
9/replaced (cleaned the plugs)

(I believe you changed high voltage wires from the coil to distributor and from distributor to plugs).

Unless I have forgotten something this is an exhaustive list which will either identify and remove the source of the problem problem of eliminate electricity as the source of the problem.

Only if all this is done you should move to investigate fuel starvation / or overfueling as the problem source.

If fuel  and electricity are not causing the problems you should start looking into mechanical area.

Without scaring you it could be something like sticking valve or lack of compression due to broken/ worn ring . It is not very likely  but you will not know until you go through the motions very
S Y S T E M A T I C A L Y .

If you take shortcuts it will be very frustrating and will make it very painstaking to actually find and eliminate this problem.  Sorry if you want to do it right you have to go step by step until the problem is solved .    

Note there are very high chances the problem is simple , easy to remove and can be dealt with at one at little or no cost !  

Miro  

PS: Make notes of all you do before each test! Without this you will be going in circles.

PS PS Look here for reference on the electronic ignition for 131 :

http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1830

I have looked at Distributor code ZZ4 1402 1A1 and found no brefer5ence to it  an any of may reference manuals...  pictures please - does anybody knows this model / maybe this was one of UK market installed models by Lukas Huh

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:32:33 AM by miro-1980 » Logged

Fiat Abarth 131 Rally Gr4 1976 (replica)
Fiat 124 Abarth Rally Gr4 1973 (replica)
106usj

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 01:15:28 AM »

Had the 131 out today for a run. Stopped at father in laws old timer mechanic's garage to let him hear it running.straight away he said it was running very rich.He was busy so nxt week he is going to put it on diagnostics and check emmisions and adjust the carb.
Engine was hot and as usual turned it over 3-4 times he said you have to pump the gas in 2-3 short quick pumps to let air into carb and a bit of fuel and it did work.Tried it again 3 times later on an it also worked while engine was hot. Any way starting is still an issue  and i will have to try again tomorow jst to see..
I will get to the bottom of this as it is a pain in the ass.
1.Thotos - I will try and post photos of coil etc wed afternoon.
2.Miro ive stuff on nxt day or two but i will follow your list to the letter and let you know the outcome asap
Thanks.........
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 01:26:55 AM »

Sure thing ,,

Miro

PS: describe how and what you will find as this may be interesting to all of us and another leavening experience. Remember these cars have souls , and as every female have their humors  .... Cheesy

M

106usj

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 10:12:10 PM »

Tried sending the pictures tonight of coil etc problem with site every time i send i get timed out and wont let me sent.
Will re try am some time  Undecided
parrish

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 01:52:22 PM »

Problems with carburation and ignition on my 131 gave me endless problems, i could never seem to get the right set up!
I know it should be simple but in the end i took drastic action and im now replacing the ignition and carburettors with an ECU/EFI set up.
Drastic and expensive so i wouldnt advise it, and at this time i have yet to prove the ECU/EFI.
The list that Thotos suggests to follow should sort any obvious gremlins out.
Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 10:47:36 PM »

Quite honestly I had none!

I equipped myself with a VDO gauge set allowing me to synchronize all 4 barrels at the same time , an exhaust analyzer and a strobe light to set timing.

I am surprised , but never had problems starting it (cold or hot). Every time It looks like she was just waiting to be turned on !  Grin Grin Grin Grin 

I do admit that to check timing , plugs , carb adjustment before every event during a season ( ca. every  2-3 weeks.  Cool  I also run on Shell V power  only with lead replacement additive.  Tongue 

Actually on my spider (2.0 fi California specs) i never had any problems whatsoever  either !  (I just replaced key engine sensors: cold start valve, auxiliary air regulator , throttle position sensor when I bought it 5 years ago. Starts every time like it just waited for me to turn her on.

Miro

I wander why my wife keeps saying I got two hot lovers in my garage  Grin

miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 01:37:52 AM »

Tried sending the pictures tonight of coil etc problem with site every time i send i get timed out and wont let me sent.
Will re try am some time  Undecided

Make sure they are max 800x600 pixels!

Miro 

106usj

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 03:24:05 PM »

Still have not had time to source the start problem but hope to get onto it nxt week.
Hope to get the pictures on later tonight as im trying to get best way to post them and me and computers dont realy get on.
Miro i am suspect about the distributor model  i will post photo of that also.
According to my Mirafiori sport data and characteristics  book the recomended spark plug for the 2.0l tc are
as follows. I assume the Champion N6YC & N6YCC are just as good to use as the recomended Champion N 7 Y
Others are.
  Fiat genuine 1 L 45 J
  Champion N 7 Y
  Magneti Marelli CW 78 LP.
  Bosch W 6 D
106usj

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 08:06:19 PM »

First set of iginition setup pictures

* C371.jpg (11.7 KB, 215x161 - viewed 622 times.)

* C382.jpg (12.65 KB, 215x161 - viewed 626 times.)
106usj

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 08:13:52 PM »

follow on...

* C392.jpg (12.09 KB, 215x161 - viewed 623 times.)

* C3A3.jpg (11.63 KB, 215x161 - viewed 622 times.)
106usj

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 08:15:29 PM »

more

* C3A4.jpg (10.59 KB, 215x161 - viewed 568 times.)

* C3B4.jpg (13.34 KB, 215x161 - viewed 645 times.)
106usj

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 08:17:24 PM »

* C3C5.jpg (13.8 KB, 215x161 - viewed 644 times.)
Tas131

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 08:22:24 PM »

Before you go buying plugs and leads etc. I'd be checking the quality of spark at the plug and trying another coil. Do these systems use a ballast resistor on the coil? Is the coil suitable for the voltage supplied (with or without ballast)?

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.